very frustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsikins00

Aquarium Advice Activist
I guess I have had my tank for a year and a half, and actually had pretty good luck. My fish were flourishing, corals reproducing (I just have mushrooms) and I had those little white worms covering the glass (those little white specks everywhere) water always tested right on, even the nitrates tested 10 or below. Last night I was testing the water randomly, and the ammonia was .25. I freaked out and went to Mejiers for get some water and zeolite. ( It was past 9pm so the fish stores were closed) I did a 6 gallon water change, and put zeolite in the media holder. Now it tested .5! Another water change was done. Within 2 hrs my ammonia rose to 8.0 and well my fish died. I set up a tank for the snails, hermits, feather duster, and corals but they look very stressed and doubt they will make it. I had been using Distilled water recently because the the RO/DI unit at my fish store had been down for a few weeks. What could have happened? All my snails are accounted for, except my two sand sifting snails. Could those dying sent my tank into this downward spiral? There were only the size of coffee beans. I only feed every couple of days, and feed sparingly so I doubt that is it. I'm pretty frustrated, and I'm a broke college student so I don't know how quick I will get this set back up. I know I'm going to make a refugium before putting stuck back in. 8O :(

"putting stock back in" is what I meant to say, it is going to be a long time before the bacteria has that much ammonia sorted out anyways.

the first thing to do is to have some else verify your ammonia reading. Take a sample to the LFS and have them test.

Back
Top Bottom