Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Very pale foxface

My foxface that I put in my tank on Friday. 3 days ago is swimming up to the surface constantly. His color at the moment is mainly whitish besides the yellow tail. He had a lot more yellow last night before I went to bed. I have 2 power heads rated at 325 gph facing the surface on opposite sides of my tank. My levels are suddenly ammonia 0.25. Nitrates 5.0. Nitrites 0.25. And ph 7.8. Please help with input. Thanks. Salinity is 1.023

Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike406
my foxface that i put in my tank on friday. 3 days ago is swimming up to the surface constantly. His color at the moment is mainly whitish besides the yellow tail. He had a lot more yellow last night before i went to bed. I have 2 power heads rated at 325 gph facing the surface on opposite sides of my tank. My levels are suddenly ammonia 0.25. Nitrates 5.0. Nitrites 0.25. And ph 7.8. Please help with input. Thanks. Salinity is 1.023

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3103570612.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	123513

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How Long has your tank been set up? Is it cycled? And what did you cycle with? I would do a PWC to bring down ammo and Trites. Right now he's being burned by ammonia and he can't breath cuz of the Trites, which is why he's going to the surface. You might have had a weak cycle, but the BB not able to handle an actual fish peeing/ pooping in regular basis.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's been cycled or so I thought for 10 days. Omg. How much of a water change and should I do anything with the media in my Tom rapids rp3 wet dry. ? Thanks for ur input. Please let me know
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike406
It's been cycled or so I thought for 10 days. Omg. How much of a water change and should I do anything with the media in my Tom rapids rp3 wet dry. ? Thanks for ur input. Please let me know
Since its not extremely high, I would do 30% PWC. Wouldn't mess with the media, it needs to build BB, don't wanna disturb that at this time. Once the water pareters are under control, rinse all that media out in old tank water, but leave it for now. I'd check water params every day and do another PWC if elevated again. Might take many PWC, since it seems tank didn't have a good strong cycle.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It also might help to drop an airstone in there to add extra oxygen until the nitrites are at zero. Then take the airstone out after they're zero.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks for your help I appreciate it
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your welcome! Hope your foxface does well!!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok so my fox face is looking better. I did a 10% water change yesterday and a 10% change today. Before today's water change the levels were. Ammonia 0. Nitrate 5. Nitrite 0 and ph 8.0 to 8.2. So how are we doing ?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Numbers look much better!! Glad to hear the foxface is looking better too. You don't need to do daily PWC if ammonia and Trites at 0. Just keep those at zero and Trates below 40 (as close to zero as you can get is better, though), and your fish should do well. PH seems ok too. Good job!!

Tags
foxface, pale

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com