Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2005, 02:12 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much did you dose? What is the concentration in the bottle?

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do yourself a favor and read the instructions carefully on the medication you're using. It should state whether or not it is safe or unsafe for inverts. Copper is never safe for inverts. The lfs will sell you what they think you need, but they may assume you have a quarantine tank set up.

You should set up a quarantine tank for sick fish or newly purchased fish. Any new fish you buy should be placed into the quarantine tank for at least 3-4 weeks after purchase before being introduced to the main tank. That way you can watch it for signs of illness. A 10 gallon tank with a simple HOB filter and a heater will do, you can also add a very small powerhead if you can find one, check drsfostersmith.com if your lfs does not sell small ones. There is an article on quarantine tanks on this forum in the "Articles" section.

You should also purchase a book, like "PocketExpert Guide for Marine Fishes" and "PocketExpert Guide for Marine Invertebrates" or other similar books so that you have something to refer to BEFORE making purchases. Most clowns and tangs cannot be mixed. Your regal tangs will likely fight when they are adults. The books mentioned will also tell you how easy or difficult each fish is to keep. You should choose fish that are good for beginners until you aquire more experience. Also, ask the lfs if you can add two of the same fish and tell them what other fish are in your tank before making a purchase.

Best of luck in the future and I'm really sorry about your loss.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

the lfs guy told me to put 1.5 - 2oz of the bottle since you are supposed to use 2 oz. per 20 gallons.
i looked at the instructions and it did have a warning for snails and inverts, but when i bought the medicine i just took the LFS guy's advice and was in such a rush i didnt get a chance to read the directions on my own. i only go to 2 fish stores to buy my fish and equipment and they know exactly what i have because i ask 10000 questions every time i buy something.

but i was advised on this board to get a book on marine fish and i didn't, so i guess ultimately it is my fault, although i would expect people who run fish stores to know these kind of things. that is what frustrates me the most.

i was looking at my clarkii today and i'm pretty sure he is going to be dead by tomorrow morning. he looked extremely sick and looked like he was breathing really fast. i also noticed a big white spot on the side of his body. i did research on 'ick' and the description was small white spots, so i dont know if they are the same.
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

well, my clarkii was found dead this morning, which is what i exprected.

now the only fish i have left are the goby (which is acting normal), 2 blue tangs (seems to be acting normal), and my maroon clown (just hides in the corner). i do not see any of the same signs from my maroon that i did for the percula and clarkii, so i'm hoping he will live, although the odds are against me. is there a way i can save him, or is it too late?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:09 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i tried to read all the posts so if i repeat something sorry.

where to begin, wow! well the damage is done. we have all made mistakes and i am sorry for loss. it is pretty common to get bad advice from the LFS.

first, a 40g is too small for any tang regardless of size.

mixing clowns is a bad idea in anything under a 75. i would say even 90g

20lbs of live rock may not be enough biological filtration to keep up with a normally stocked 40g, much less one that is so extremely over stocked
you may need more live rock.

you tank looks amazingly algae free for being 2.5 onths old. it looks even newer. even in established aquarium adding one new fish per month is about the max

i would suggest finding out exactly what copper you put in your tank. all of your sand and live rock is now pretty much useless.

my opinion would be to try and retrun of find homes for you fish and other animals and start over. i am not sure if rock can be washed and left in the sun to be re used, but a general rule of thumb is that once something has been exposed to copper it is not usable ever again for inverts, coral or other critters beside fish.

i would have you LFS check your water parameters as well. with that fish load in new tank i cant imagine how your ammonia would be 0

good luck and ask as many questions as you need to get on the right path from here on out

steve r
Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to say, I think my lfs wants me to spend money and doesn't really want to make sure I'm doing the right things. I have gotten some really good advice from them, but also a lot of advice that's been disputed by this site as well as even Petco.

You may want to get a "start up" book like Salt Water Aquariums for Dummies, where they tell you from scratch how to select everything you need for the kind of tank you want and how to set it up step by step. I used it and it worked for me. But, I'm not an expert, just sharing my experience (the stuff that worked anyway).

Old 12-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #27
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You might want to go to the LFS and tell him of the damage that he did by either doing or not doing his job. I might even think about going somewhere else. Sorry about the loss

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In that picture, it appears to be two percula clowns....is this before the addition of your clarkii and maroon? Just trying to get a take one what is and has ever been in your tank.

You can't risk using the rock and substrate, and you can't test to see how much copper may be in it. In addition, the copper you added was likely absorbed and your fish are likely not being medicated at this point. Welcome to the dismal reality of some LFS. Many are undertrained or simply ignorant and pass on information and suggestions (most of heresay or rumor) that they heard...and so on. I would return to the store for at least a credit on the copper itself and to state your disappointment because this is a cut and dry case of poor advice.

Sorry, I have no guess on what the actual malady may be.

Get your bearings over the next few days and don't jump off the balcony yet! Try to find some "Polyfilters" and run them on the tank (they are a type of filter media, Google "aquarium polyfilter"). They remove many things including copper. Then wait to see how things balance out over the next few weeks.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

no..the one in the corner is a maroon yellowstripe clown. i got the maroon first, then the blue tangs, and then the 2 other clowns about a month later.

i went to the LFS and was telling him about what you guys were saying - he basically denied it saying that the Copper Power medicine he gave me is very safe and all i need to do is change the filter padding in a month and everything should be ok. he also said that it will not kill my inverts, and although the warning label does say that it may be toxic to snails and inverts - none of them died so far. i put the medicine in a few days ago and my maroon has only came out of its corner when i throw food in once a day. my tangs occasionally come out to swim around, but usually hide with my maroon. has anyone ever experienced their fish acting like this?

not sure if this would be a good idea so i need everyone's advise - would it be smart to buy another small tank of maybe 12 gallons, and then cycle it for about a week with some sand and LR. then put the maroon clown and blue tangs with my inverts in the 12 gal tank. then change the filter, get rid of the rocks and sand, dump the water, and start all over on my 40 gallon tank?
once i have everything reset, slowly put everything back in my 40 gal. this is the only solution i can think of.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #30
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sounds like a plan. You can put the rock in your QT but not back in the main. You`ll have to literally start over because your LFS messed you up. LFS`s like that make me mad. They`d sell their own soul for a dollar

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com