Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Sounds like a plan. You can put the rock in your QT but not back in the main. You`ll have to literally start over because your LFS messed you up. LFS`s like that make me mad. They`d sell their own soul for a dollar
so i can still use the rock in my new QT tank? isn't the rock contaminated with the copper? will i be able to reuse the sand in my QT tank also??

Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyone heard of APBI nano cubes?

Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs
so i can still use the rock in my new QT tank? isn't the rock contaminated with the copper? will i be able to reuse the sand in my QT tank also??
If you're moving your fish to the quarantine tank, you need the sand and live rock to make the tank instant cycle. The bacteria should still be alive and that's what you need for the nitrificatoin process. But I would consider it contaminated and it shouldn't be returned to the main tank because you will want to add inverts to the main tank at some point and you don't want to take a chance of adding copper back to the main tank.

You don't really need to quarantine inverts, so assuming you're never going to put inverts in the QT, you can probably keep that sand in there.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:43 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

i'm getting a little confused here.

so lets say i get a small 12 gal nano for a QT, but with future plans of getting some inverts, and maybe even a coral or two. would i still be able to use my old LR and sand?

i do want to make the 12 gal a QT, but i don't want it to sit there with nothing in it 90% of the time. i wanted to put a shrimp with some crabs and snails for it in the future. since the shrimps, crabs and snails are still alive in my 40 gal tank, i'm guessing they should be OK from the copper medicine.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Copper doesn't always kill inverts instantly, it gets absorbed into their bodies (and the same for fish but their scales protect and reduce this quite a bit) and manifests at varying times.

To be 100% safe, your liverock and sand should not go back into your display as it may leech whatever copper it has absorbed back into the system. I would get a 20g minimum as your QT, only because you have 3 fish in a very small 12g otherwise. If the 12g is the best you can do, be prepared to test very frequently and do water changes as necessary to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

sorry, but i have to make sure one more time before i dump antoher couple hundred dollars - i talked to a guy at my work who says he's been into SW fish for about 10 years. he told me that what he did to clean copper out was get a hose that sucked the water out and clean the tank like that. he would take about 25 - 30% of the water out like this while turning the sand over and replace it with some new saltwater. but before he put the new water in, he would change the filter pad and charcoal. does this seem like it would work? he told me thats what he did and had no troubles after.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Proverbs, you understand that shrimps, crabs and snails are inverts, right? Just making sure because you mentioned making the 12 gallon tank a QT and putting shirmps, crabs and snails in it. If you keep shrimps, crabs and snails in your QT, then you wouldn't be able to put your sick fish in there to medicate, at least not with copper anyway, but that's the reason for having a QT.

If you don't want your QT sitting empty most of the time, you could put in a couple mollies. I've heard damsels suggested, which is what I now have in mine, but they can be a little aggressive, so mollies might be better. You don't want anything aggressive that will harass your sick fish.

Not sure about the advice from your friend at work, but it's well known in the fish-keeping hobby that copper kills inverts, so if it were me, I just wouldn't take the chance. If you decide to take your friends advice, make sure you get a good copper test kit. There is one for chelated and non-chelated copper, so make sure you get the one to test for the kind of copper you used, I couldn't find anything on "Copper Power" on the internet to check it out but it should be on the container somewhere. If you re-use the sandand/or live rock, you should test like crazy for copper over a good period of time before you ever put any inverts into the tank.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:41 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

i just want to say, thanks for all your advice everyone. i read all your posts and studied all your responses. i gathered all the information and researched everything so i could prepare myself to give a well deserved lecture to the owner of the store who sold me the copper medicine. suprisingly, i was shut down rather quickly.
when i began to give my lecture, he stopped me and said, "do you know how long i've been in this business?" i told him, no, i don't don't really care because he's wrong and gave me some bad advice. well, he then proceeded to tell me that he's been working with fish for a long time and he knows what he is doing. he told me that the copper medication that he gave me, "Copper Power" (i could not find anything on the internet for Copper Power so i couldn't argue with him, but it does say on the bottle that the medication does not percipitate), does not percipate, meaning that it does not cling on to the LR or LS. he told me to let the medication stay in there for another 2-3 weeks, and then change out the filter padding and charcoal and do frequent water changes for about another month until the copper gets back to a low level. i then asked him about my inverts, and he told me to calm down because if they were going to die of copper poisoning, they would die in less than 3 days. he urged me to just "trust him", and to stop bugging him.

so now i have two paths i can take - the safe way, and spend another couple hundred dollars on a qt, or i can just trust the LFS guy who seemed pretty angry that i didn't trust him in the first place. do you guys think his recommendation makes sense? and what makes me curious is that if "Copper Power" is so great, why doesn't anyone know about it or have information on it?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:03 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whew! Nice guy, huh? You could follow his plan and see what happens. If you do that, you may want to find a temporary home for your inverts so they don't have further exposure to the copper. If you do enough water changes and run carbon in your filter, you will eventually get the copper level down, but you still need to get a test kit so that you can test the copper level over the next month.

Do you know what company makes the Copper Power? It might be on the label.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #40
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont have a problem thinking this guy is sincere. He really thinks he`s right. But the matter of fact is that he is sincerely wrong. He gave you some wrong advice and now you know. Its up to you now.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com