Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

very sad day...my true percula is dead...

i don't know what went wrong. my mys clown and my clarkii seem to be doing fine but yesterday night my nemo was just chillin on the sand bed for awhile and looked like he had no energy. he would then go to the surface almost n a vertical position, like when the fish get tired, and stay around the surface. my water levels are all ok, except my pH is a little low at 7.9, and i doubt this could be the problem. and all the fish seem to get along. anyone know what could have went wrong?

and how do you guys usually get rid of the fish? bury in backyard, toilet, or trash?

Old 12-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How old was the fish?

What size tank?

How old is the tank? (also, what kind of filtration)

What were your exact ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and specific gravity readings?

Extra Edit: Mixing clowns is not recommended, and if not the culprit now will likely be a problem in the future.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

the thing i'm wondering is that it had no nips or signs of struggle and fighting from the other fish. so how would the other clown have killed it? if it was the water levels - wouldn't all the other fish be sick too?

i only had the true percula for 1 week. i payed a premium price since i thought the color was perfect - $25.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

40 gal tank about 2 1/2 months old.
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

A forty gallon tank is definitely too small for mixing clowns

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I wouldnt put different types of clowns in anything under 75 gallons even if there was no signs of fighting that could have done him in even if they were not fighting the one could have been preventing the other from eating and swimming freely which in turn could have stressed the fish out to the point of no return Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you find a different type of fish and do not mix again
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs
the thing i'm wondering is that it had no nips or signs of struggle and fighting from the other fish. so how would the other clown have killed it? if it was the water levels - wouldn't all the other fish be sick too?

i only had the true percula for 1 week. i payed a premium price since i thought the color was perfect - $25.
As others have mentioned, it could have been stress from tankmates, water conditions, or un-related and the clown was just "not well". All fish, however, will not react to environmental problems in the same way...some fish can "tolerate" poor conditions longer than others.

I would be sure to watch the other fish closely since one has died from an unknown cause. I would also still be interested in your specific parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and sg.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

well after i buried my true percula in the backyard, i noticed that my Clarkii was acting the same way as the perc. so now i think it was a disease that the perc brought to the tank, since it was the first one to die. now my clarkii is on the virge of also dying so i am going to pick up some medicine at the fish store. hopefully its not too late.

i noticed that the clarkii and perc were pretty good buddies since they would swim around together, so i guess one gave the other the illness.
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Medicine will do no good unless you know what is wrong. The very first place to start is testing your water to see if thast is the problem. Please post results so we can rule out water problems.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your clarki is showing the same signs I would turn your attention to water parameters first. As already mentioned we need to know NH3, NO2, NO3, SG, Ph, temp. What makes you think it was a disease or illness?

Tags
dead, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com