Volitan Lionfish removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I am getting a Volitan Lion tomorrow for my agressive tank... I know that Netting them out of the bag isnt really all that great so I was wondering what would be the preferred way.. I sure as H311 ain't going to grab it out... Please help me in my delima as I really dont want to release any shipping water in my tank no do I want to net this fish out..

TIA<
James

I would try to scoop it out in some large tubberware container or something?

Thats kinda what I was thinking And probably will do unless anyone knows of a better way.. LOL I could always have the wife pull it out with her hands (Payback for the last 2yrs LOL) Just kidding LOL

Any other suggestions,
James

use the trickle method, and net out of the bucket. Use the long tweezers to remove the bag from the bucket. Once he's gotten used to it USE A LONG HANDLED net to scoop him out and put him in your QT tank. That's how I do my teacups.

I dont really want to use a net as I have read that Netting them isn't really all that great for them due to the spines... Is this not true?

TIA<
James

Try a plastic or rubbermaid pasta strainer. Set it over your bucket, pour him out and as soon as water strains, slide him into your tank. Remove your tank lid first. Good luck!

Nets and lions are no-nos for sure, the secondary container is good. Large bowl with with strainer in it is even better. They are slow movers and not to excitable usually so scopping isn't difficult at all. I have moved mine a few times with no problems at all even with lots of LR. If he's small enough, I used the plastic lid off a 50pk CD-R bundle.

With any new buy the most convienent way I find is to prepare a waterchange at the same time. Have your water mixed and ready. I use a 14G rubbermaid for my waste water and start a drip into it for a few hours then dip the new addition into the display. I finish draining that way I am sure to dump all bag/store water with my wastewater and then finish with the change.

R-

when I had to move my big volitans around, I used a one gallon plastic container. It is large enough to keep my hands away from his finnage and small enough to maneuver. Also, when I buy fish like this, I acclimate them in a 5 gallon bucket so that I can scoop them out easier.

Thanks Guys.. Well I am off to FedEx to Pick up my shipment.. I will have pictures a bit later..

Thanks Again,
James

Well I got him and he came in healthy this morning.. Already got him acclimated to the tank and seems to be doing pretty good so far..

Here is a picture of him..

James

i hate when you type a long post and it times out on ya..

But here it goes again.... Everything came from Liveaquaria.com as usual..

I got me a volitan, a six line, Some Super nass snails 1+", Some astreas, Empty hermit shells but some had hermits in them, Halmedia plant..

Myt friend got a Watchman goby and 2 peppermint shrimps that came in alive as well. So far the only fish i have ever got from them that died was a Mandrin... Other than that all my fish and Inverts came in real healthy and not sick.. The corals seems to be a Hit n Miss..

Thanks Again,
James

Sounds like you've been very happy with liveaquaria. I would like to order some fish/inverts from them but have always been concerned about ordering corals and especially clams I cannot actually see the picture of the one I will be getting. The also have the longest guarantee on fish and you can't beat that free shipping if you spend $175 deal :D

have always been concerned about ordering corals and especially clams I cannot actually see the picture of the one I will be getting
That is True however Since you have the 10day gaurentee you really cant loose.. Something comes in sick and doesnt look good but is still hanging on sometimes they will even give you an Addt 7 days depending on the circumstances... I have a few corals that survived but its been pretty close to a 50/50 split of it they make it or not... I have decided to buy all corals Local since I found an LFS stocking colonies that look good.. So far I have bought any as i have no money but.. One of these months LOL... I just had alot of credit with Dr Foster & smith and the time was right to use it.. LOL

James

Back
Top Bottom