Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
cj10488

Volitan Lionfish removal

I am getting a Volitan Lion tomorrow for my agressive tank... I know that Netting them out of the bag isnt really all that great so I was wondering what would be the preferred way.. I sure as H311 ain't going to grab it out... Please help me in my delima as I really dont want to release any shipping water in my tank no do I want to net this fish out..

TIA<
James
Old 04-22-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I would try to scoop it out in some large tubberware container or something?

Old 04-22-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
cj10488

Thats kinda what I was thinking And probably will do unless anyone knows of a better way.. LOL I could always have the wife pull it out with her hands (Payback for the last 2yrs LOL) Just kidding LOL

Any other suggestions,
James
Old 04-22-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

use the trickle method, and net out of the bucket. Use the long tweezers to remove the bag from the bucket. Once he's gotten used to it USE A LONG HANDLED net to scoop him out and put him in your QT tank. That's how I do my teacups.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:34 PM   #5
cj10488

I dont really want to use a net as I have read that Netting them isn't really all that great for them due to the spines... Is this not true?

TIA<
James
Old 04-23-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I would not net them either if at all possible.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Try a plastic or rubbermaid pasta strainer. Set it over your bucket, pour him out and as soon as water strains, slide him into your tank. Remove your tank lid first. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Nets and lions are no-nos for sure, the secondary container is good. Large bowl with with strainer in it is even better. They are slow movers and not to excitable usually so scopping isn't difficult at all. I have moved mine a few times with no problems at all even with lots of LR. If he's small enough, I used the plastic lid off a 50pk CD-R bundle.

With any new buy the most convienent way I find is to prepare a waterchange at the same time. Have your water mixed and ready. I use a 14G rubbermaid for my waste water and start a drip into it for a few hours then dip the new addition into the display. I finish draining that way I am sure to dump all bag/store water with my wastewater and then finish with the change.

R-
Old 04-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
when I had to move my big volitans around, I used a one gallon plastic container. It is large enough to keep my hands away from his finnage and small enough to maneuver. Also, when I buy fish like this, I acclimate them in a 5 gallon bucket so that I can scoop them out easier.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #10
cj10488

Thanks Guys.. Well I am off to FedEx to Pick up my shipment.. I will have pictures a bit later..

Thanks Again,
James

Tags
lionfish, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com