Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wanted dead or alive: Hermit Killer

I got up this morning and found my only red legged hermit dead, not a molting. his shell is no where to be seen. I've had this problem before, we had 2 then one died we thought the bigger one killed it then the larger one died and his shell dissappeared. His shell was found burried in the sand behind the oyster clusters (which were new at the time). This happened last Sept. The new one was brought last week. Also one of the clowns died and he looked like he had cuts on his side. Checked the water prams and their all with in range. Any Idea what is causing this?

Old 03-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any clicking noises coming from inside your tank at night? Did your rock come out of the Caribbean, or the South Pacific? It could possibly be a mantis shrimp that came in as a hitchiker...

Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not sure on the LR but the oyster clusters did come from the Caribbean, there were a few unidentify able crabs hidiing in the clusters. Could a mantis shrimp have been hidding in one of the oyster clusters? And I havent heard any clicking but really haven't paid attention, if it's a mantis how do I catch it?

PS. My husband said hes been hearing a clicking noise but didn't think anything of it.

Tags
dead, hermit, live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com