Warning Signs of a Dying Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squintyekalb

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently had a fish pass on, and there were some noticeable characteristics and behaviors that have started to occur in another fish.

Is this typical?

It's an orange ocellaris clown that has recently started showing this slime (?) shedding like look peeling off him. This was similar in my past clown. So of course I'm worried.
If anyone has any suggestions or any similar experience, please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It sounds like brooklynella. This is a clownfish disease and looks exactly as you described it.

That doesn't sound so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need to qt and treat if you want to try and save the clown. Quite a nasty parasite :(

What could this have come from? And will affect any other fish in my tank

It can lay dormant in other fish but seems to only affect damselfish/clowns. It could of come in on your other clown as well

Also, this clown came from a tank with an anemone, would getting one may have prevented or helped slow this?

An anemone would have no effect on brooklynella. It is best to qt and treat and hope for the best.

So, looks like I'm qt tank shopping. Any suggestions on treatment from here on? Tank and chemical suggestions welcome.

I've read about a "dip" in fresh RODI water and then fermalidhyde? (I spelled that horribly wrong)

Anything else I should look into?

Freshwater dips can be very very stressful for the fish, and to my knowledge they are used for ich so that the ich will detach from the fishs gills. Not really certain about brook tho

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409073772.847504.jpgso here's what I picked up from my local store. I will keep you all posted on any changes in the fish. If anyone has any experience with this, please share.

So it's been about a day and the clown is looking great now. She in my qt and I plan on leaving her there for at least the rest of the day. Unless I should leave her in longer. Any recommendations?

Yes advice number one: one day of treatment is not even close to enough. 6 weeks is usually recommended.

So it's been about a month and my clown is looking a million times better. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411348795.273308.jpg
I've been using the medicine I posted earlier daily in my qt tank. I recently read that brooklynella can affect/lay in other fish. Should I move my other fish (1 royal gamma, 1 engineer goby) in the QT as well before re-introducing the clown?

So it's been about a month and my clown is looking a million times better. View attachment 250624
I've been using the medicine I posted earlier daily in my qt tank. I recently read that brooklynella can affect/lay in other fish. Should I move my other fish (1 royal gamma, 1 engineer goby) in the QT as well before re-introducing the clown?

I wouldn't if their are no symptoms of disease in the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom