Was this Brown jelly Disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not sure what took over this beautiful huge pocillipora but whatever it was it killed it within 24 hours. :-(

It was kinda mushy brown but not sure if that was the eaten flesh of the coral or the dreaded "brown jelly disease".

Not sure if this matters but this coral was very close to the orange goo that everyone told me to leave be. Could they be related?

Here are the pictures, I woke up to the coral about 75% gone and by the end of the day the rest was gone too. Whatever it is/was totally wiped the skeleton clean.

Any help would be most appreciated!

img_1882076_0_7e31deb49c5a5b17af3cf704646067de.jpg

img_1882076_1_3f83f5c91a73041fd06660a7a9f6daea.jpg

img_1882076_2_0ac00a713461e1ffdf8fe33cd8c4430e.jpg

I`ve never heard of it hitting that coral. Usually it`s LPS like torch, hammer or frogspawn. Dont rule it out because I`m not 100% sure. Did you notice the fleshy part just falling off?

The fleshy part seemed to be transformed into a brown goo or jelly.

Does brown jelly usually act so swiftly? I mean it was with no exaggeration a day and the entire skeleton was clean.

Thanks!

My dealings with brown jelly have been that it moves fast. I mean a matter of hours. If you don't see it when it first starts I don't think you can stop it. At least I haven't had any luck.

I looked at your picture closer and it sure looks like brown jelly. It's kind of stringy and stinks.

I'd say it was my pineapple brain got it took a couple hours the clean the skeleton this pic was from the next day after a very thorough cleaning

image-1673341825.jpg

brown jelly indeed

That is indeed brown jelly, which is actually a huge population of cilliated protozoans swimming around in mucus. I almost always moves quickly, but especially if the temp is high. I see problems with it perennially when it gets hot in the spring, and folks try to avoid turning on the ac. Did you notice any temperature spike just before it set in? Also, I generally try to wrinse the coral in tap water several times a day to get the cilliates off.

Back
Top Bottom