Water Change, Treating with Coppersafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I am treating with coppersafe in my QT and I want to make a water change because I'm not sure about the ammonia. I had high readings, but they are not so high now, I was thinking it was a false positive because of the copper, but I can't really prove that theory. Considering I started the tank with new water, freshly made and added no live rock or sand or whatever, I suspect it was a false reading.

Anyway, I want to do a water change just to be safe. I treated with coppersafe for ick and it's a 10G tank. If I change 5 gallons of water, do I just add more coppersafe as if treating a 5G tank? How should I handle that?

I want to change some water because I've added more fish and don't want to overload. I am feeding very, very little.

Also, should I add a handful of sand from my reef tank and sacrifice that to the trash later when done with the QT tank?

Why are you treating with Coppersafe? Is this an Ich outbreak?
Why did you add more fish to your QT?

But to answer you question. YES, for every PWC you will need to add a dose of Coppersafe tothe PWC water to maintain the level.

I much prefer Hyposality as an Ich treatment. I don't have to worry about copper contamination that way.

And from what I've read, you don't want to add sand because that can absorb some of the copper out of the water and make keeping a consistent level of copper difficult.

Regarding your ammonia reading, I'm not sure why you think it was a false reading. You put fish into a non-cycled tank. I would expect ammonia to show up.

Back
Top Bottom