Water changes any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel Fishy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 60 gals in a 75 gal tank I'm thinking of doing a 5 gal change a week or ten every two weeks . Any suggestions?

Small frequent water changes are better then large ones more spready out.. are you choosing that amount due to parameters or is that what you "feel" is right

Hmm your tank isn't filled up.. you're leaving 15 gallons empty? Just curious.

Some people do that. I guess whatever works as long as your parameters are fine. I change 20 gallons every week on a 55 +18 gallon sump.

scottayy said:
Hmm your tank isn't filled up.. you're leaving 15 gallons empty? Just curious.

Some people do that. I guess whatever works as long as your parameters are fine. I change 20 gallons every week on a 55 +18 gallon sump.

I'm guessing he's accounting for water displacement

I change 30g every two weeks on my 90g if that's any help. Takes about 15 minutes with the setup I have in place for water changes. I have some algae still but the tank is somewhat new and fish only so I let it slide for now.

If you have a feel for your tank you can fine tune a schedule that works best for your individual needs. I would however do more than 5g even weekly, less frequent than that and you really will have to watch your stocking and feeding levels.

I have 60 gals in a 75 gal tank I'm thinking of doing a 5 gal change a week or ten every two weeks . Any suggestions?

I do about 10-15gal PWC on my 75gal every week, every 4th ... when I do my tank filter Maintenance, I'll do 20gal. Been doing it this way for close to a year now.

Yeah I'm counting water displacement. I live in south Florida and always going by the inlet or around the water so I just though about doing small frequent ones or what ever works best! Thanks you all

If you're getting water yourself from the ocean be careful. We all know water near beaches can become contaminated. Test the water each time.

Most of the contaminants I would be worried about in a natural water supply would definitely not be on the list of things covered by the typical hobbyists liquid kits. I would avoid it altogether.

MrPillow said:
Most of the contaminants I would be worried about in a natural water supply would definitely not be on the list of things covered by the typical hobbyists liquid kits. I would avoid it altogether.

I second that.

Back
Top Bottom