Way Stressed Out Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I learned a big lesson today. I just want to scream!

"Watch the end of the siphon hose when doing a water change!"

I looked away for a minute to check the level going into my bucket and I guess I moved my hand or something. I siphoned my condylactis anemone!

The part that got siphoned (well, not including the four or five tentacles that got ripped of and ended up in the bucket) deflated pretty good. Some of them are starting to inflate a little. Some of the tentacles, the ones that didn't get hit, did not deflate at all and look okay.

The question is, can the anemone survive loosing a couple tentacles?

Keep your water pristine, do extra changes and give it time. (I would do a water change now if possible) It may heal. I actually ripped part of a tentacle off my lta the other day. I was trying to clean the glass and it clung to the scraper. In my attempt to free the scraper, the anemone lost part of it's tentacle. (it should have let go right? :roll: ) The next day, I couldn't tell which one it was. They are hardier than we give them credit for. No guarantees but all you can do is be diligent and hope he heals. Good luck.

image246ym.jpg

notice all the little"buds" and missing tentacles? This guy was in a very high flow area and ended up getting a bunch of twists and kinks in it's tentacles. I would daily watch them "break off" and float around the tank. All the arms have since regrown, which took about 4 weeks. I had a lts that sucked into the intake of ph(mj1200) and there was nothing left after that, except anemone material dispersed throughout the tank....
Give it some time, as lta's are a bit more forgiving than say a Ritteri or comparable anemone....
Good luck!!!

Cindy, it should have let go, stupid anemone (oops, sorry!)

ChineseKnife, wow! that's a good close-up of your anemone. That in heartening to know that yours is wwaaayyyyy worse and it survived :D

He's looking okay for now. Much better than an hour ago.

Attachments

• condy_348.jpg
    condy_348.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 56
  • condy2.jpg
    condy2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 60
Sharon, I watched Anthony Calfo cut anemones in half and pretty much heal themselves in only a few hours. Just keep an eye on it and wait it out. Hopefully it will be fine. Your damsel doesn't look happy about the situation though. lol

yeah, well he's just lucky to be here. He was an impulse purchase! I think he's actually grown twice the size he was when I got him in just a couple months.

Remember to keep water conditions at the very best as Fluff said. And keep a close eye out because it is not over yet.

Yes, the base was good before and it seems okay now. He stayed "squatted" for a day, so I couldn't see it, but today I can. It looks okay. I offered him a little bite of table shrimp today and he snatched it up and wrapped his tentacles around it as he always does. I THINK that's a good sign?

I had a BTA get sucked into a intake a month ago. It lost about 5-6 tentacles and it is still around.

That just goes to show that your water conditions must be very good. It has to be for them to make it after that.

My LTA got sucked into a powerhead a few months ago, he was wrapped around it "face first." That sucked! I turned off the powerheads and he unwound himself over time. I have all my intakes now covered with nylon (stockings from wal-mart).

I usually have no ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates usually around 15 (between 10 and 20) ph at 8.2 (although it was low, so I added buffer) but generally the readings are usually really good. I'm working on getting the nitrates down more and the phosphates.

The anemone is "stretched up" again today, as opposed to his continued squat for the last couple days. All of his tentacles are inflated and he seems good. Can't wait for tomorrow to feed him again. Today, he snatched up little pieces of mysis when I fed the fish, so I think he's pulling through this HUGE mistake that his horrible mommy made!

Back
Top Bottom