Weak Tang, not eating or swimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS503

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 2" Sailfin tang that I purchased 3 days ago. In the LFS he was active and eating, When I got the Tang home I did a drip acclimation for approx. 40 min. and released gently into the tank with the lights off. A couple of hours later when I turned the tank lights on the Tang was swimming as in the store. Later in the day the tang was no longer swimming but upright near the bottom of the tank, I figured maybe there was to much current and turned of the spray bar and the protien skimmer. Not much has changed with the tang in the last two days other then it stopped eating and was staying in one spot. The tang has not outward signs of injury or disease & is not being bothered by any of the other fish in the tank. All the other fish are healthy and have never been sick in my tank, All levels in this tank are within the norms.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EMS503

Well, my first suspect is ick or velvet, on a fish that small, you may not be able to see it, also the visible stage of the infestation is one of the last things you notice. I also do not recommend buying tangs that small, they almost never do well, tangs are capable of living in home aquarium for 15-20 yrs, but if they are collected too small, they do pitifully. Without more info, it is almost impossible to know what's wrong with the fish. How is it's orientation in the water? Is it scratching on the substrate or decos? Are there any areas on the fish that might be inflamed or swollen? What are the actual numbers of the water parameters?

Weak Tang not eating

Sorry I wasn't ignoring you, I sent an update but must have pushed the wrong button :oops: .

unfourtanetly I had to put the tang down as the poor guy was suffering way to much. It,s a shame but I could not treat what I did not see, No signs to give me or the Members something to help with a diagnosis.

Thankyou very much for the assistance you were able to give.

John EMS503

John, I'm sorry to read of the Sailfin. I know how discouraging it is to lose a beautiful fish. This is a live and learn process, and each of us has such great intentions as we progress in the hobby. Sharing your experience here was a good idea, and I thank you. I have learned, again, as a result!

Kevin, your thoughts about purchasing a small/young fish cause me to reconsider my outlook. I have always gone after the smaller fish to purchase in the hopes it will be with me longer. I have accepted your advise and will change my habits, should I ever buy other fish.

I will add one thought to the subject, though this might not pertain to John's situation. It was recommended to me from the start, add fish slowly; one now and wait some time before adding the next.

Sue

Oh dear goodness...

One word.
C-y-a-n-i-d-e

What a shame.
Here are some tips for the next time you get a tang:

1.)ALWAYS do an in store quarintine. This greatly minimizes the cyanide risk. Ask who the tang was caught by and reasearch that person.
2.)Grow a luxurious crop of algae prior to the purchase of the tang, and feed seaweed and vegi flakes.
3.)Only buy a tang that is in perfect health. Check for small amounts of fungus, ick, or any other thing that may be problematic.
4.)Ask about everything. How long has it been at the store? Where was it cought? Who caught it? How old? Those are important.

I would go, asap to your lfs and tell them you seem to have a cyanide collected fish. Ask them if they have incountered this before and weather they are against cyanide poisoning. After this, decide wether you still wish to buy fish from there. A good lfs is priceless.
Good luck with your many fish to come!

Holly

Re: Oh dear goodness...

ClownLoach said:
One word.
C-y-a-n-i-d-e

One of the distinguishing characteristics of a cyanide caught fish, is that they will exhibit overly bright colors. There colors will be very vivid when compared to a net caught fish of the same species, kinda like they are over saturated. This is unfortunate, because that is the fish you will be drawn to, cause it has the best color.

Back
Top Bottom