Weird acting bubble tip anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosted_msp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased an extra large bubble tip anemone about 6 months ago. Originally I didn't think it would make it. It continually deflated and would bite off it own tentacles and spit them out. It has stopped doing all that. And moved to the back of my tank under all my rock.

Normally you would leave it alone. But it's been back there for 3-4 months. And while moving some rock around I realized it was very clear/bleached compared to the color it was originally but otherwise looks great/better than before.

If I move him, I'm sure it's going to dart for the shade again. Should I put it in a breeder box in a dim corner and basically force it to acclimate to the light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank is a 34 gallon solana with the 150w mh disco ball above it.

Temp 78
Api
Am 0
Trite 0
Trate 0

Salifert
Calcium 450
Mag 1320
Dkh 8.2

Don't test for phosphate but no nuisance algae.
Use rodi water and keep salinity at Aprox 1.026-.027

It was under a 150w halide when I bought him and a much shallower tank. Granted the store I bought him off of didn't have him but a few days

Yep, over 2 hours. Regardless. I've had the nem for over 6 months he should be acclimated to my tank by now.

Anemone are sensitive creatures. Sometimes something strange can send one into such a desire to move. The problem comes is that these guys don't have a brain. They only search out what feels like a good place for them...which can be in the shade and will end up starving them to death. I personally feel this comes from some wanting to lean out into the light, but who really knows.
In this situation, If you can move or flip the rock your anemone is on to try to get him some light I would do so. I suggest this as doing any prying or screwing with the foot of anemone is a trap. Damage the foot and you kill it. But besides that, there is something about that spot it likes. Getting some light to it will help it recover and flourish. This will take time though.

No possible, he's attached to the largest rock in my tank that's at the very bottom of it all. Never fails does it? Lol I might try to get him on the move with a power head

He moved to a rock that I moved into a better lit location, he's not happy. Inflated, but drawn in.

Lights are off, it's opened up big and puffy And now my clownfish has finally taken to it. Hopefully it will stay.

It moved to the back of the tank again, this time it's out in the light better tho so I'm going to leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom