Weird white stuff on my blue tang (dory fish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordofsmiles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My blue tang has this white stuff growing on the right side of its fin. Does anybody know how to get rid of it ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1432661457728.jpg
    1432661457728.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 1432661490191.jpg
    1432661490191.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 1432661505131.jpg
    1432661505131.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 102
Yes it actually does scratch itself against my chalice particularly

But it looks like someone dropped some whiteout on her back fin

Do you have a qt/hospital tank?
I'm not sure about issue(oodinium/marine ich seem likely but need better pics),but with corals in tank you won't be able to add many good meds if we do diagnose.
How long has fish been looking like this,
How long has tank been established, what size,
Who else is in tank,
Anyone new?

I do not have a quarantine tank, I know very dumb of me ? I think it must have started yesterday and I have had my tank for about 3 years. I have 2 clowns, 2 damsels, 1 cardinal, 4 peppermint shrimp, 1 six line wrasse, and 1 watchman goby, I have bought anything except for some scarlet legged crabs and that was about 4 weeks ago

Better pics would go along way!
I know how fast they are(mine is over 4 years).
Tank size and what do you feed the tank/fish?

Haha yup those were the best pics out of 10 and my tank is 75 gallons and I feed them an assortment of pellets and frozen cubes that you buy from the lfs

Hippos will eat anything!
They need vegatables /algae.
Is nory available in your area?
Many offer fresh vegs.
Look into selcon to supplement his diet.
If we are lucky it may just be HLLE!
Do you run carbon on your tank?
Here is a selcon link(DEFINATELY WORTH BUYING).

American Marine Selcon
It along with calurpae definitely cured a sailfin of HLLE for me(took a year).

Oh I forgot to mention that I also feed her seaweed and I do run carbon in my tank and I'll look into buying selcon thanks ?

it's not HLLE, completely wrong place on the body and looks totally different. HLLE looks like pits and erosion on the fish. Think of really bad acne scars.
HLLE on hippos pretty much always starts around the eyes/face and then progresses along the lateral line, and then slowly progressing outward from the lateral line to the rest of the body.

Does it look like an actual growth on the body like a fungus or does it look like damage and missing scales?
Is it solid and flat against the body or is it textured or fluffy looking, like cotton?

when you say it scratches, does it target that area of it's back or just its gills like most fish do occasionally?

are there any suspicious looking half empty bottles of white-out anywhere near the tank?

It doesn't look like Ich, but it acts lIke Ich where hippo scratches itself.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Possibly big case of Lymphocyctis? Not entirely sure, its hard to tell from those pics.

Okay thank you all for your help, I appreciate very much. It looks like I described it it looks as if someone dipped her back dorsal fin in white out, but these past days it has receded a lot and I will upload pictures tommorow

Back
Top Bottom