Well...here goes nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I decided to do it. I went out this evening and purchased my set up.

55Gal tank
Rena Filstar XP3
48in compact flourescent lamp at 260 watt (4 at 65watts each)
couple of bags of substrate
DI filter
6lbs of base rock (LR coming really soon)
2 100watt heaters
and 1 bottle of PRIME

The tank is all put together, now I just need to get some water in it and let the "fun" begin.

welcome to AA. You have found the best site to help you. You do know about cycling your tank right? Good luck and ask lots of questions!

Edmonton Eskimo said:
welcome to AA. You have found the best site to help you. You do know about cycling your tank right? Good luck and ask lots of questions!

YEP!! I have been doing a lot of research before i decided to start this thing. My plan for cycling is getting some LR (probably from LR.com), and dropping in a shrimp. My only thing is with that, it seems to be a "new" method. I would like to go with the proven ways to run this thing, but at the same time...here little helpless animal, let me torture you for 6 weeks because I paid for you....I just dont know

Aqualis said:
My only thing is with that, it seems to be a "new" method. I would like to go with the proven ways to run this thing, but at the same time...here little helpless animal, let me torture you for 6 weeks because I paid for you....I just dont know

I don't understand your statement here. The raw shrimp method is used so your not subjecting fish to the cycling process. :?:

Welcome to AA :wave:

Fluff said:
Aqualis said:
My only thing is with that, it seems to be a "new" method. I would like to go with the proven ways to run this thing, but at the same time...here little helpless animal, let me torture you for 6 weeks because I paid for you....I just dont know

I don't understand your statement here. The raw shrimp method is used so your not subjecting fish to the cycling process. :?:

Welcome to AA :wave:

what im saying is, using fish works...it works well...everyone and everything i read says to do this...its proven to work...but it hurts the fish.

using shrimp works....people say it works...i assume it works based on the amount of people here that say to use it.

thats all, i'm just trying to decide the best thing to do for the cycle to give me the best overall outcome for my tank.

using shrimp works....people say it works...i assume it works based on the amount of people here that say to use it.

thats all, i'm just trying to decide the best thing to do for the cycle to give me the best overall outcome for my tank.

I'm using it right now. 3 dead shrimp in a 30 gal (added one every couple of days). It's been two weeks, and my ammonia is coming down from 8+ on the chart (it's now still high at 3). Nitrites are up (5) and I'm starting to crank out the nitrate, too (50). Now I'll practice water changes to get the temp, pH and dKH right in the replacement water (I'm a newbie in spite of my post total :oops: ). Some LFS LR going in really soon before my larger order from LR.com. My plan is to have an established cycle in place when I add the bulk of my LR (although cured LR theoretically brings the cycle with it). This way, any ammonia spike from the LR shoudl be minimized and the critters can start signing up for admission into my tank.

I've got my eye on a really cute little jawfish at the LFS first first fish resident.

I used lr to cycle my 55 gal tank. Pretty quick cycle, but I still waited 6 weeks before putting anything live into it. Patience is not my strong suit, but I figured that I'd better learn to wait - because everything in sw is waiting and being patient. Keep asking questions, and listen to the advice given here - these folks have helped me save sick fish and money!!

I used 2 jumbo shrimp with live rock and mine cycled in just a weeks time... Good luck

The fish method works, but it is "old school." If someone tells you, that you should use fish they are probably Old Saltys. A term that describes well, old school aquarist. The raw shrimp method will work just as good, if not better, and you want take the chance of losing a fish. Plus it's more humane. When I first started I have to admit I used some damsels. I didnt read up, and I didnt have AA. All I had was the advice from an "Old Salty."

Welcome To AA!!!!!!! Congrats on the new tank! :wink:

and now the live rock is on order...
30lbs from HI rocks
and
30lbs of the Key Rocks from LR.com
:censor: :eek2:

Back
Top Bottom