Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What a Horror Story!!!

After my powder blue tang had ich for over 3 weeks and nothing working I finally decided to put him in a QT tank like you guys suggested. I set it up with the water from the tank and put a filter with no carbon and a heater in it. Unfortunately I woke up this morning and something wen wrong with the heater (malfunction or something), I had it on low but it malfunctioned and went to high and put the water temperature up to 110 degrees, no fish will survive in that temperature. Then when I tried to see what was wrong the heater sent an electric current through the water and I almost electricuted myself. If the fish didnt die from the temperature he sure did from the electricity. So now my $80 fish is dead. I thought I saw a white dot on my foxface. I hope he is not getting ich now too. Just thought I would share my horror story.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry for your loss

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you contacted the maker of the heater, and perhaps a consumer safety group? That sounds very dangerous that it sent a shock into the water.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea, contact the manufacture. Something had to go wrong for it to send a charge into the water. & Sorry for your loss

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You will never believe what happened, when I cleaned the tank I found a piece of glass on the bottom. It looks like the fish might have rubbed up against the heater trying to get rid of the ich and broke the heater. Then the water got in it and he rubbed up against it aging and electricuted himself. He had a brown spot on him from the point of electricution. I could not believe it!
Old 01-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ouch, Must have been damaged, cracked or something. I use heater guards on all my heaters. After I had one go to sleep on it and get burned I decided to use them on all of them.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com