What am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
The corals in my tank seem to look less than lively. They don't look dead, they just don't look like they are flourishing. The LFS I get them from their tanks look pretty good (i know they aren't maintained well, but they still look good)

Here's what I got:

Xenia (doing good, but from time to time they don't look to well)
Brain
Frogspawn
Colt
Finger Leather
Red Mushrooms (have a green tint now, didn't before)
Hairy Mushrooms (don't get near as large as they did at the LFS)

Here's my tank specs:

Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH 8.1-8.3
Calcium: 420
SG: 1.023
Temp: 77
Lighting: 6.4 wpg
Flow: 18.5 GPH

Any advice?

I should have mentioned that.

Mine:

2 VHO (1 Super Actinic 110w 1 10k Actinic White 110w)
48" PC (4x65w)

LFS: 2 110w VHO on a 125g tank. (not kidding)

I add iodine to my tank my zinnia is now splitting and doing great my tree coral has a little one as well. Maybe that would help you out.

I add a little bit of Iodine, not much since i don't have a test kit for it, but my xenia has split several times.

Ximat...just a thought... do you run GAC somewhere in a filter or skimmer? If not it could be from having those softies in with LPS. Some chem warfare could be going on. I've noticed this in my tank when I've taken the GAC out for extended periods.

jackdp said:
Ximat...just a thought... do you run GAC somewhere in a filter or skimmer? If not it could be from having those softies in with LPS. Some chem warfare could be going on. I've noticed this in my tank when I've taken the GAC out for extended periods.

I have Emperor 400 filters and use the typical Marineland Rite Size "G" filter. It has Carbon and Floss.

add a little bit of Iodine, not much since i don't have a test kit for it,
If you don't test for it, don't add it. Period. Iodine is toxic when even slightly over dosed. I would almost be willing to bet it's high. With what you have stocked in the tank, PWC will easily replenish iodine/iodide.

Ximat said:
It has Carbon and Floss.
How often are you changing it? Sleeve type/pillow filter pads have very little carbon and will become clogged/used up fairly quickly.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Ximat said:
It has Carbon and Floss.
How often are you changing it? Sleeve type/pillow filter pads have very little carbon and will become clogged/used up fairly quickly.

Cheers
Steve

Once a month.

Should I get some "reef carbon" and put it in as well?

The LFS hasn't changed out their filter cartridges in over 6 months.

As jackdp pointed out, soft and LPS corals can be quite noxious when it comes to chemical warfare, about the only way of dealing with it easily is heavy skimming and carbon. Something is stressing your corals so the best thing to do is eliminate as many possibilities as you can. Changing out the carbon more frequently (weekly) for the next while won't hurt. Chemi-pure, Seachem Matrix or Black Diamond are good choices.

When you do get the alk test, also see if your LFS can do a copper test for you.

Cheers
Steve

I got some Kent Reef Carbon today and put that in both filters.

Did an alk test today, its at 5.5

I have a copper test and it is 0

That is a fairly high alk level and will definately cause stress in LPS corals. The higher the alk gets, the less polyp extension you are inclined to see.

Please post the parameters of your saltmix (alk/Ca) after mixing for ½ a day. You will need to do several water changes over the next few days to get the alk back down to a reasonable level but we need to be sure that is not part of the issue.

Please also post any/all chemical additives you are using and frequencey/dosage used?

I'm pretty sure once you get the chemistry back down closer to NSW, you'll start seeing some improvements.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom