what are the negative aspects to using a UV sterilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
Just wondering what the drawback is to using a UV sterilizer....I've heard such things as fish gradually losing their disease immunity, killing beneficial bacteria....could someone share their experiences...thanks
Travis

The only real negative I see is expense (that isn't necessary if proper quarantine and husbandry is followed) and the additional heat added to the water. IMO, the pros do not outweigh the cons on this issue, but others have differnet opinions.

Kevin,
Thanks for the info...other than expense...although that is always a consideration...do you believe having a UV sterilizer is good to use as a precaution to prevent disease in the display tank....and also could you use the UV sterilizer only if a problem occurs...ie If a fish contracted ich, could you use it for a few weeks to kill the parasite and then return to biological filtration. thanks
Travis

do you believe having a UV sterilizer is good to use as a precaution to prevent disease in the display tank

No, it will not prevent disease, it at the best, can give you time to treat the disease if it occurs.

and also could you use the UV sterilizer only if a problem occurs

Yes, but again, it will only give you more time. If I were to use one, I would run it 24/7, I think it's preventative aspects are much better than it's treatment aspects.

use it for a few weeks to kill the parasite and then return to biological filtration.

UV is not a replacement for biological filtration, if you stop your biofilter when you UV sterilize, you'll have more problems than you started with.

Thanks again Kevin, I'm not sold on the idea of the UV sterilizer yet...but I feel like my hippo tang is destined to get ich...and want to be on top of it.
Travis

WOW...Timbo did a great job on that one...food for thought. Thanks Kevin you're always a big help.
Travis

Back
Top Bottom