Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what did i do wrong?

I have had 20 gallon tank with some saltwater fish for about a year. Two days ago I purchased circulation pump, one coral, one new ornament and one new clown fish. Installed the pump, put new guys in the tank. Earlier in the day I added some salt water to raise the salinity for the coral. Found most of my fish dead in the morning, couple that were left look really really bad. The water tests perfectly... If anyone has an idea what could lead to such catastrophic outcome, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much did you raise your salinity and how did you go about doing so?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure what happened, sorry for the losses.

Questions:

1. What was the salinity of the tank water and the new saltwater, and final tank salinity, how as the salinity measured (refractometer?, hydrometer?); how did you create the new saltwater? What percentage of tank water was replaced?

2. What fish were in the tank prior to the additions, and which one's died? Was the new clown among the deceased?

3. You mentioned the condition of the survivors. Describe "looked very really really bad". Disease? Wounds?

4. How's the coral doing (what type is it)?

Not sure if the new fish introduced a disease (quarantine should be a must but 2 days seems kind of rapid for the demise that you've witnessed).
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315
How much did you raise your salinity and how did you go about doing so?
I went from 1.022 to 1.024.. Is it too sudden? Did partial water change (about 2-3 gallons) with higher salinity lvl...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think it might be. I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will chime in. One question, though, what kind of ornament did you add?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay-bee19
Not sure what happened, sorry for the losses.

Questions:

1. What was the salinity of the tank water and the new saltwater, and final tank salinity, how as the salinity measured (refractometer?, hydrometer?); how did you create the new saltwater? What percentage of tank water was replaced?

2. What fish were in the tank prior to the additions, and which one's died? Was the new clown among the deceased?

3. You mentioned the condition of the survivors. Describe "looked very really really bad". Disease? Wounds?

4. How's the coral doing (what type is it)?

Not sure if the new fish introduced a disease (quarantine should be a must but 2 days seems kind of rapid for the demise that you've witnessed).
Thank you for the reply!

1) I use hydrometer to measure salinity. Went from 1.022 to 1.024, I changed about 10% of the tank.

2) Yellow tail damsels, and another clownfish, total of 6. The one I bought is dead, the other one is lying on the side "breathing" very heavily.

3) No wounds or any other signs, except that he is very pale (and lying on the side, at the bottom)

4) The coral looks fine and open. Its a mushroom type, very simple. I also have a little shrimp, which looks OK so far.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you test the levels????? The salinity shouldt have killed them. How did you acclimate?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTrash
I think it might be. I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will chime in. One question, though, what kind of ornament did you add?
I added plastic SpongeBob pineapple, it says it's safe for fresh/salt water tanks :-/
Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Did you test the levels????? The salinity shouldt have killed them. How did you acclimate?
I put coral right in and the fish I kept in the bag floating in the tank for 30 min or so...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would be iffy about the pineapple house.

Also, be careful with the hydrometer. I just got a refractometer, and it measured my salinity at 1.021 while the hydrometer measured it at 1.025!! So, like you I'm also raising salinity, though I'm just topping off with saltwater instead of freshwater for evaporation. I've killed enough in my tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com