what did i do wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

etoja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had 20 gallon tank with some saltwater fish for about a year. Two days ago I purchased circulation pump, one coral, one new ornament and one new clown fish. Installed the pump, put new guys in the tank. Earlier in the day I added some salt water to raise the salinity for the coral. Found most of my fish dead in the morning, couple that were left look really really bad. The water tests perfectly... If anyone has an idea what could lead to such catastrophic outcome, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!!

Not sure what happened, sorry for the losses.

Questions:

1. What was the salinity of the tank water and the new saltwater, and final tank salinity, how as the salinity measured (refractometer?, hydrometer?); how did you create the new saltwater? What percentage of tank water was replaced?

2. What fish were in the tank prior to the additions, and which one's died? Was the new clown among the deceased?

3. You mentioned the condition of the survivors. Describe "looked very really really bad". Disease? Wounds?

4. How's the coral doing (what type is it)?

Not sure if the new fish introduced a disease (quarantine should be a must but 2 days seems kind of rapid for the demise that you've witnessed).

EriksFish315 said:
How much did you raise your salinity and how did you go about doing so?

I went from 1.022 to 1.024.. Is it too sudden? Did partial water change (about 2-3 gallons) with higher salinity lvl...

I think it might be. I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will chime in. One question, though, what kind of ornament did you add?

kay-bee19 said:
Not sure what happened, sorry for the losses.

Questions:

1. What was the salinity of the tank water and the new saltwater, and final tank salinity, how as the salinity measured (refractometer?, hydrometer?); how did you create the new saltwater? What percentage of tank water was replaced?

2. What fish were in the tank prior to the additions, and which one's died? Was the new clown among the deceased?

3. You mentioned the condition of the survivors. Describe "looked very really really bad". Disease? Wounds?

4. How's the coral doing (what type is it)?

Not sure if the new fish introduced a disease (quarantine should be a must but 2 days seems kind of rapid for the demise that you've witnessed).

Thank you for the reply!

1) I use hydrometer to measure salinity. Went from 1.022 to 1.024, I changed about 10% of the tank.

2) Yellow tail damsels, and another clownfish, total of 6. The one I bought is dead, the other one is lying on the side "breathing" very heavily.

3) No wounds or any other signs, except that he is very pale (and lying on the side, at the bottom)

4) The coral looks fine and open. Its a mushroom type, very simple. I also have a little shrimp, which looks OK so far.

Did you test the levels????? The salinity shouldt have killed them. How did you acclimate?

TeamTrash said:
I think it might be. I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will chime in. One question, though, what kind of ornament did you add?

I added plastic SpongeBob pineapple, it says it's safe for fresh/salt water tanks :-/

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Did you test the levels????? The salinity shouldt have killed them. How did you acclimate?

I put coral right in and the fish I kept in the bag floating in the tank for 30 min or so...

I would be iffy about the pineapple house.

Also, be careful with the hydrometer. I just got a refractometer, and it measured my salinity at 1.021 while the hydrometer measured it at 1.025!! So, like you I'm also raising salinity, though I'm just topping off with saltwater instead of freshwater for evaporation. I've killed enough in my tank :blink:

etoja said:
I put coral right in and the fish I kept in the bag floating in the tank for 30 min or so...

Yup i think that might be why. Look into drip acclimation, and you should coral dip your coral first

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yup i think that might be why. Look into drip acclimation, and you should coral dip your coral first

But what about the rest of the fish? that should not have affected them...

Thank you for replies everyone! At this point I only have one clown left, but he seems a bit better today. Fingers crossed that he makes it. I took out circulation pump, new ornament and did about 20% water change. Also ran out and got protein skimmer (Sea Clone 100, that thing is **** loud, I can hear it in the other room). Once I did all that my clown started feeling better.. So sad to see almost empty tank :-( Thanks again for all your advice!

If you want a refractometer, check out Ebay. You can get one for $25. I'd also spring for the calibration solution which has 35ppt salinity so that you have that and di water to calibrate from. Hope you get it all figured out!!!

what about your PH and temprature? A sudden big change in either of those could have detrimental effects. I once had a heater malfunction and my tank went up to well over 90 degrees. All the fish were still alive but, in a panic, I dropped the temp too quickly (10 degrees in 24 hours) and killed 5 fish:(

TeamTrash said:
If you want a refractometer, check out Ebay. You can get one for $25. I'd also spring for the calibration solution which has 35ppt salinity so that you have that and di water to calibrate from. Hope you get it all figured out!!!

Thanks for the tips - went ahead and got one off eBay (it really is $25.00 wow) I hope it gets here quick

maryannr said:
what about your PH and temprature? A sudden big change in either of those could have detrimental effects. I once had a heater malfunction and my tank went up to well over 90 degrees. All the fish were still alive but, in a panic, I dropped the temp too quickly (10 degrees in 24 hours) and killed 5 fish:(
Ouch, sorry about your fish, the temp was 77 and ph is within range too.. I don't think there was a temp drop at night because it's not that cold in our house so I can't imagine it going down very suddenly and the raising back up in the morning, even if there was heater malfunction.

Back
Top Bottom