what do I do now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My last of 4 fish died today.The 2 clowns and dottyback from ick and my firefish today. He hasn't had the spots for 2 weeks so I thought he was ok. I only have 1 shrimp,a few snails,and a few urchins in the tank now. Am I correct in saying I don't add anything else for 6 weeks and if it was ick then this will kill it? I think I will start 10 gal qt tank now. Does it have to cycle? Do I do regular water changes in the qt tank? I read where people set up and take down qt tanks but how does that stay cycled?

They usually take water from their established tank to help with cycling a QT. IMO I would shoot for at least 8 weeks. . It should kill off the ick since it won't have a host to feed on.

Definately leave that tank fallow for at least 6 weeks. I would raise the tank temp to 83-84F for that time. The higher water temp will speed up the ick's life cycle.

Since I only have one thing that eats fish food (the skunk shrimp), should I still put in a little fish food once a day or will he forage the tank for other types of food?

stumpy said:
Since I only have one thing that eats fish food (the skunk shrimp), should I still put in a little fish food once a day or will he forage the tank for other types of food?
Once or twice a week would even be fine. If just the shrimp, I would use sinking pellets. Much better chance of feeding and less chance of waste.

Cheers
Steve

ImLookinForNemo said:
What other diseases besides ich cause you to keep the tank empty for 8+ weeks?
Parasites are what you need to be concerned about primarily when leaving the tank fallow. Velvet, flukes, brooklynella, turbellarian worms and such that need a fish host in order to complete their life cycle to name a few.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom