What do i do now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I bought a skunk cleaner and I can only assume he was hosting some ich which has now killed my two clowns.

I am debating tearing this tank down but I don't know.

Currently there are
2 turbo snails
1 peppermint shrimp
1 skunk shrimp

What do I do now. Leave the tank fish less for 20 weeks and try again? Could a add inverts or corals during this time.

Even after leaving the tank fish less I have read ich can reside on inverts so now that it is my tank am I always going to have ich problems?

Well I bought a skunk cleaner and I can only assume he was hosting some ich which has now killed my two clowns.

I am debating tearing this tank down but I don't know.

Currently there are
2 turbo snails
1 peppermint shrimp
1 skunk shrimp

What do I do now. Leave the tank fish less for 20 weeks and try again? Could a add inverts or corals during this time.

Even after leaving the tank fish less I have read ich can reside on inverts so now that it is my tank am I always going to have ich problems?

Get rid ich... its a natural supplement.. also ich in saltwater doesn't spread like ich in freshwater...

I would avoid any medication if possible. If you leave your fish tank fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks minimum it will take care of ich. Most likely it hitch hiked in on the water that came with the shrimp. I am currently going through a hyposalinity treatment in my new 40g tank to clean up my 2 clowns and firefish

Most medications that will kill ich will also kill inverts and coral so I avoid using medication whenever possible. The few that are advertised as "reef safe" generally aren't effective.

I would leave the tank fallow (fish less) for the next 12-14 weeks, without a fish host the ich will die. dont for get feed your shrimp though

Two months fallow should be fine for most marine issues. What makes you think it was Ich?

It could have been in the water... did you dump the bagged water that the shrimp came in into the tank? If not, it would have been an insanely small amount that came over just from the water on the shrimp. Inverts do not carry Ich.

Corals are fine in the fallow tank. I would not medicate. If it was Ich, hypo and copper are the only proven things that kill it and that should always be done in a QT.

I tried my best not to carry over any water from the Lfs but some could have gotten in. I'm just going to leave the tank fallow for a while and start again. Might add corals and a bubble tip for when I get clowns again.

Back
Top Bottom