What happend to my Fox?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Fox Coral is almost gone!!! I only had a frag, but it was nice when it opened up, but it looks like somebody took a couple of huge bites out of it. Its almost completely gone. Ack. What would do that to my poor little fox? I have a tang, tusk and and eel. Niether of them are suppsed to eat corals. What kind of critter would do this? How would i find it, catch it and KILL IT?!?!?! :twisted:

i have had 3 fox corals in the past and they all have died on me. i dont know if its just that i have had bad luck with them or they just dont do well in home aquaria. but it could have just died and not been eaten.

If you can get a healthy fox coral, they generally will be very hearty and can grow very quickly. The problem is finding a healthy one. Many times the ones that we find in LFS are already starting to recede. Once this starts....its very hard to stop and almost always means the death of the coral (in captivity). With yours being a frag I would be willing to bet that recession had already started and it was on its way out when you first got it. The fox is one that if you want to keep it...shell out the cash for a perfect specimen, it will be worth it in the long run.

This is our fox coral. http://www.reef-aquarium.net/175pics/fox2.jpg
Squishy

Thats a beautiful FOX Squsihy. Mine was very small, but it opened up fully, and had 2 mouths on its one "bulb" (lack of a better term). I have had it for 6 months now, and i was hoping that it would split soon. I couple of weeks ago, i noticed a chunk missing from it when it opened up. 8O I thought that maybe i damaged it cleaning. So, i moved it to the bottom of my tank and left it alone. It started opening up again, and i could see that even though it was missing part of its upper portion, it still had both mouths intact. It never fully opened up again. Now i see that another huge chunk is missing from it AND its upper mouth is gone. There is only a little piece of it left. :cry: What could have caused that? Do you think i should just put it out of its misery? Do i have a decorator crab hiding in my tank? How do i get rid of it if i do? I have a bunch of Nudis in my tank now (No idea where they came from) here is a pic: http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/ackman/NudiCloseup
Do you think that they are the culprits?

Back
Top Bottom