What is causing this...Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is the second time this happened. I have a 75gal FOWLR I did a 20 gal water change on Friday morning. I mixed the salt on the RODI water for 3 days. After the water change the fish started to have rapid gill movement and then by the morning 3 died. This happened about 5mths ago. Could it be the salt? I have no idea on what to do. I still have 3 fish left, seems there rapid gill movement has slowed down. Any ideas at all?

Thanks for any help

hmmm i wouldnt change that much water at the same time, i usually do maybe 10g
worth. I also have a 75 gallon. Is the temp of the water the same as the tank? What about the Sg?

Thats a big change. What are your water parameter? Both before and after the change.

A 20 gal water change in a 75 gal isn't really that much. It's only a little over a quarter of the volume. I have done much larger water changes in times of need with no troubles. Usually when I add that much new water though I do over a period of a couple hours to allow the fish time to adapt to the new water.

There might have been a rapid change of PH involved. I don't think you could say definitively without testing the water. A rapid change in PH, temp and SG could all cause these problems IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom