Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is happening to this Acro???

I do not have adequate lighting to allow acros to flourish in my tank. That being said, I accepted some raffle won acros at a recent club meeting. I superglued the two frags to a piece of rubble, and placed them high up in my tank to get the most lighting. For a day or so, they didn't look any worse for wear. Now they look like they are dying very quickly.

I am not really sure what to do with these frags, so please help.

As you can see, their coloring (which was brown before I got it) is "peeling" off the frag. I really don't want these to die if possible.

MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
RTN, or Rapid Tissue Necrosis. It's, unfortanelty, very common...and quite the fast killer.

I don't know of anything that will save them, except for fragging off the infected areas and reattaching the healthy areas.

They had the brown tissue before you got them, you said? You may want to advise the person you won the items from if that is the case, beacuse RTN is spreadable to other SPS corals as far as I know.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well that completely sucks. Thanks for the info Lindsay. All my other corals (not SPS) seem to be fine...in fact, my candy cane has 3 heads that are splitting, so I would guess that that is a happy coral
75g FW Planted Community; 55g African Cichlid
29g Biocube SW Reef;12g AP Mantis Shrimp/Brittle Star
2 Cats, 2 Dogs, 5 Turtles
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
FWIW I would call it STN(slow tissue necrosis). RTN happens in a few hours, STN is over the period of a couple days, possibly weeks. Many times STN or RTN can happen after changes in aquarium chemistry or lighting. Other times for no apparent reason at all. If your tank and/or lighting are not up to par, there isn't much you can do other than find a better home at this point. I would remove them and rum some GAC for a few days if your not already.
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com