What is my LTA doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandyn85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just bought a Long Tentacle Anemone yesterday and just about an hour ago it starting releasing tiny green pellet like things from its mouth. It has been releasing hundreds of these things. I am a little worried as this is my first anemone and can't find anything online about them doing this. Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this? Is it sick? It is flushing itself? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. I have attached a couple photos of it releasing these little green things.

I have been searching online and the only thing that I can even think it might be doing is releasing eggs? Has anyone ever seen this before?

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 73
  • photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Are you sure? It was looking very healthy and happy and then its started spewing these things out and now that it is done it is all shriveled up the size of a racket ball.

I am still very new too this, but have read a lot on anemones.

This could be the release of zooxanthellae (beneficial algae) due to a large drastic increase in lighting. The anemone could have built up more in lower light conditions and then does not have a need for as much in your lighting environment. What kind of lights on what sized tank?

If it expels too much it will bleach completely. You can lower the lights and slowly increase them over time. (Like with corals)

But hopefully an expert chimes in!

We have a 125 gal tank and have 2-400 watt mh along with a blue LED system. Your theory makes sense because the tank that it was in when we bought it yesterday was maybe 20 gal and did not really have much lighting in it. I have been watching it a lot as I am really intrigued with it and I could actually see these little green things going from by its "foot" all the way up to the tentacles before it started spewing them out. Now that it is done spewing these things out it is just laying in the sand. It is finally starting to look like it is "recuperating". Now since it spewed out hundreds of these little green things, how will those affect my tank? Also, do you know how I should acclimate the anemone to the light? How many hours a day/how many lights should it be exposed to?

Sad thing is that we were told that they would just acclimate themselves and that we did not need to do anything different other than what you normally do to acclimate something new to the tank.

Thank you so much for your help!! :fish2: :thanks:

It should recover fine...also it will move wherever it likes most. It will move to the light or shadows it wants to be in. Mine has moved quite a few times over the last few days.

Back
Top Bottom