what is on my clown? UPDATE ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vsnsofadrgn

Aquarium Advice Addict
what is this on my clown? its like a white lump. will it heal, or do i get him something for it? they arent even out of the bag yet, but i would like to know if its treatable or if i should exchange him. TIA.

edit - it looks to me like he was bit, so i think with some tlc hell be ok.

Kind of hard to see but it that like a pimple or can you describe it better. Does it look like a piece of cauliflower? Just hard to make out.

i know, he wouldnt stop movin, so thats the best pic. it doesnt look like califlower. i guess more like a pimple, but it looks pulled out, thats why i think he was bitten by one of the other clowns that were in the tank. some of them looked a lil beat up, the ones i picked didnt have anything on em, i guess he netted the wrong one, got tired of me tellin him
"no, thats the wrong one." i didnt notice unitl i got him in the tank. they are in the tank now, im a bit mad at the lfs, but they are my fishies now. i will take better care of them, than when they were there. :)

well one clown died that night. this one wont eat. something wrong with that batch. i think im goin to take him back to the lft where i got him. i dont want to risk him dying. hopefully i can get some store credit for a different fish.

so it turns out the clown had ich. :( the store wouldnt take him back, and now ive got an ich breakout.

i dont know what to do. i could take the fish out and treat with copper, but wouldnt the ich still be in the main tank? i cant take the coral out becuase they need the mh light, which means i cant do hypo in the tank either. what do i do???

in my reading, it seems that i can take out the fish, treat them, and just go fishless in the main for 8 weeks, and that will kill the cycle of the ick, do i have it right???

thanks for the links. i understand the hypo and copper treatments, ive got a tank up with some foam form the main tank. since its less stressfull on the fish, im goin to do the hypo.

my concern is with the main tank. is it true that if it is fishless for 8 weeks, it will kill the cycle of the ick?? i cant seem to find that info anywhere but on aa.

I've done some reading on it and different places say different things. I believe 8 weeks is a good way to make sure they are gone.

those are some great links. thanks.

i guess its all a matter of what you believe about the parasite. some think that it can stay dormant for months and will always be in the tank. so goin falllow wont neccasarily work. i think it will. its been a proven method of treatment for years now, so im with that.

i was able to catch the clown (i tricked him, lol) on my lunch break and put him in the hospital tank, however the firefish is not as easily tricked. i even tried to trcik him with food, lets just say he got the food, but i did not get him... guess after work ill be trying againa dn tearing the tank up to get him if i have too. :( stupid non qt-ing me....

vsnsofadrgn said:
i guess its all a matter of what you believe about the parasite.

Sorry, I dont agree with what you are saying here. It really does not matter what we believe. The facts are the facts. The parasite must have a fish host. If your tank was fishless for eight weeks then that would be enough to break the cycle of the parasite.

i believe that too, thats why i said ill do whats been proven time and time again, but in my reading, ive found that some ppl think that the parasite is in the tank and can remain in the tank dormant for months at a time. i guess its their explanation that after months of "treating" that it still comes back. i think that they just didnt treat correctly, or introduced it somehow.

vsnsofadrgn said:
i think that they just didnt treat correctly, or introduced it somehow.

I think this is a fair assessment. I hope all goes well for you.

i cant get the clown to eat. he hasnt eaten anything since ive had him. ive tried formula one, mysis shrimp, squid. he has tried too, took some but spit it out. ive got selcon and garlic extreme on the food. any suggestions??

Maybe try it without the selcon and garlic. At this point, you just want it to eat. I know it took my clown a while to warm up to eating it's mysis with selcon/garlic. And even now, it still turns up its nose depending on its mood, it seems.

edit: Have you tried Prime Reef flakes? I rotate between mysis, formula 1 pellets, and prime reef flakes and he seems to gobble up the prime reef like it's going out of style. Doesn't sound good though - seems like if things won't eat mysis, something is up.

Back
Top Bottom