What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Two days ago I noticed my clown I have had for over 2yrs had his gill open on one side, his eye was cloudy (this has mostly cleared) and now it looks like the area is ulcerated. He is swimming fine and is eating like normal. Does anyone know what it is?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433034328.824298.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433034354.106754.jpg my nitrates are high at 20 -did a water change a few days and doing another today to get it down. Is it a parasite? I have been adding NOPOX to my tank. There are no aggressive tank mates...he is the boss and there have been no new additions.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Two days ago I noticed my clown I have had for over 2yrs had his gill open on one side, his eye was cloudy (this has mostly cleared) and now it looks like the area is ulcerated. He is swimming fine and is eating like normal. Does anyone know what it is?View attachment 272987View attachment 272988 my nitrates are high at 20 -did a water change a few days and doing another today to get it down. Is it a parasite? I have been adding NOPOX to my tank. There are no aggressive tank mates...he is the boss and there have been no new additions. Actually it looks like his skin is coming off.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433035204.746310.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433035238.797288.jpg

It could be an infection of a wound he inadvertently got. If you say the eye cloud is healing but the ulcer is getting worse, I would suggest removing the fish to a hospital tank and using a broad spectrum antibiotic on him to see if that clears up the condition. While most marine bacterial diseases are gram - , I have had some some fish get gram + bacterial diseases so my med of choice is Furan-2 ( Nitrofurazone.) This combats both gram - & + bacteria. If the cloud is healing and the ulcer is not getting worse, you may want to see if it will heal on it's own. Unfortunately, wounded fish are usually easy targets for their tankmates so this is a risk you need to consider.
Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks. His eye looks much clearer today which is a good sign although the skin looks ulcerated still. What do you think of this solution which is reef safe? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433151495.183621.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433151511.313880.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433151528.784185.jpg

Never treat in the display, no matter what the product. In reality, there is no 'reef safe' treatment for anything that ails our fish as the ones that are aim at the overall health of the fish and the slime coat...which is simply past the point of helping in most cases.

As crazy as Clarkii Clowns are, he probably just ran himself into a rock and got a scratch. It will heal itself in a couple weeks time frame, nothing you need to do to help out.

Thanks guys. Will wait and observe. He is still just as active..it probably bothers me looking at it more than him lol

If things are progressing in a positive direction, I'd agree with the others and see if it will resolve itself without you doing anything special. Definitely no meds in the display tank directly no matter what the bottle says. In order for them to be effective, you need to dose a known amount of medicine to a known amount of water. That's why a good hospital tank is just a bare aquarium with nothing in it to displace any water.
Hope it all works out for ya. (y)

Thanks Andy. He looks a little worse for wear tonight but I did see him quickly bolt when the house lights came on this morning and he struggled to fit through some rocks. Thinking he may have scraped himself further.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433323883.771526.jpg

Thanks Andy. He looks a little worse for wear tonight but I did see him quickly bolt when the house lights came on this morning and he struggled to fit through some rocks. Thinking he may have scraped himself further.View attachment 273170

Sounds like you need to do a little redecorating in the tank so that the spaces between the rocks are larger so he stops hurting himself. Clarkii clowns get big enough that they really can do some serious damage to themselves in tight spaces ( which sounds like what happened here.)

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom