Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhampton_wsu View Post
Did you lose any fish? also how many times did you have to treat your tank and are they gone. I know it's been a couple of months but any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Are you having an issue with flat worms?

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Since we are back on this Thread? How do you even get Flat Worms in your Tanks? What causes that?

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am having problems with flatworms. I'm thinking of getting a 6 line or Melanauras Wrasse but I'm worried about my red coco worms. I don't really want to put chemicals in my tank.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Flat worms usually get into the tank from something we put in the tank like LR, a new frag that kind of thing.

Flatworm exit is a very good product. I don't like using chemicals either, but it does a very good job. The best suggestion I can make is to siphon as many out during your next PWC. You want to remove as many as you can before you treat your tank. Follow the directions. Make sure to have fresh carbon on hand to run in your system after the treatment. I ended up repeating the process a few days after the first treatment and I haven't seen them since.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Since we are back on this Thread? How do you even get Flat Worms in your Tanks? What causes that?
Hitchikers on corals. When I had mine, they came in on my torch. And I recently noticed a couple on my Ricordea that I recently got, but have sucked those off. Haven't seen any since... but I'm sure they're hiding somewhere!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Hitchikers on corals. When I had mine, they came in on my torch. And I recently noticed a couple on my Ricordea that I recently got, but have sucked those off. Haven't seen any since... but I'm sure they're hiding somewhere!
Should I be making sure before I buy coral to look and see if there are any Flat Worms on them?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, but...

The thing about flatworms is that they don't stay put. If you see some on a coral in a LFS, then most likely they're on other corals too. There's a LFS near me that has a tank full of beautiful zoanthids, but the tank is FULL of flatworms. They're getting a handle on it, but still... no thanks.

Flatworms are the one thing that has made me think twice about possibly doing a preventative dip (iodine) on incoming corals. But for the most part, the LFSs I frequent keep really really clean/healthy tanks so I haven't done it yet.

Looking over corals reaaaallllly good before buying for any type of hitchiker is really good. I've passed over beautiful looking corals that I've really really wanted because I didn't like the look of some of the macro algae hanging off the rock. Granted, I can pluck the algae off before putting it in the tank, but I've learned you can never get it all off. The more I get into this hobby, the more protective I'm finding I get when it comes to putting new things in the tank.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Flat worms usually get into the tank from something we put in the tank like LR, a new frag that kind of thing.

Flatworm exit is a very good product. I don't like using chemicals either, but it does a very good job. The best suggestion I can make is to siphon as many out during your next PWC. You want to remove as many as you can before you treat your tank. Follow the directions. Make sure to have fresh carbon on hand to run in your system after the treatment. I ended up repeating the process a few days after the first treatment and I haven't seen them since.
When I did my last couple of pwc's I tried to siphon some out but they seem to cling to the corals I'm using a gravel vac siphon though it never goes near the gravel. Would I be better to just use the tube for siphoning off the flat worms? I even took my elephant ear mushrooms and wiped them off in my drained water it helped a little but they seemed to be stuck pretty good.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Using just the hose should do the trick. That is how I got rid of mine along with the flatworm exit.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Yes, but...

The thing about flatworms is that they don't stay put. If you see some on a coral in a LFS, then most likely they're on other corals too. There's a LFS near me that has a tank full of beautiful zoanthids, but the tank is FULL of flatworms. They're getting a handle on it, but still... no thanks.

Flatworms are the one thing that has made me think twice about possibly doing a preventative dip (iodine) on incoming corals. But for the most part, the LFSs I frequent keep really really clean/healthy tanks so I haven't done it yet.

Looking over corals reaaaallllly good before buying for any type of hitchiker is really good. I've passed over beautiful looking corals that I've really really wanted because I didn't like the look of some of the macro algae hanging off the rock. Granted, I can pluck the algae off before putting it in the tank, but I've learned you can never get it all off. The more I get into this hobby, the more protective I'm finding I get when it comes to putting new things in the tank.
Cool, Now I know what to do when I go buy my first coral.

Tags
coral, flatworm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com