What is wrong with my quarantine tank??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frequent water changes are the best way - just make sure you do them in a manner not to totally stress the (already stressed!) fish too much.

Can you use 2 sponges? If so, keep on with the waterchanges as you are doing, and seed a 2nd sponge in your main tank, then put them BOTH in the QT in a week (minimum).

Maybe I'm missing something, but you said your ammonia was .1? If it's no higher than that I would not be concerned. .5 to 1 in a QT but not .1. You will have to do daily water changes of course but no need to panic at a .1 reading.

Thanks, Mark. I will get another sponge and start seeding it in my main tank. (y)

My current ammonia reading (before the 20% water change I just did) is about 0.4 - I am using a FasTest test kit. It was a lot higher than that yesterday, but it's still showing up as a green color instead of the normal zero reading and yellow color.

I'd have done a 50% waterchange if your ammonia was that high.

You want as much bacteria in the QT as possible. I'd seed the 2nd sponge for at least 10 days, then combine the 2 together.

In the meantime, keep up with your daily waterchanges and be very conscientious with feeding.

Remember, underfeed rather than overfeed - a lot of marine fish go for days (sometimes even weeks!) without food in the wild, so maybe even cut down on feeding (to a degree) to help you.

Bit of an ar*e, but it'll be well worth it in the long run! :)

I had previously performed two 50% water changes (one yesterday and one the day before). That is why I was so confused at why my ammonia was still high. I am also going to take a water sample to my lfs just to see if the readings match up. I didn't think I was over-feeding her. I fed her this morning and she ate quite well, but I don't think I had fed her for the two days before that. :?

Back
Top Bottom