What should I do with my clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possolutions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a trigger fish that was ok with my clown for over 1 year, then recently he attacked the clown, wounding it. I have since returned the trigger back to LFS. But the clown is badly hurt. His right eye is all bulging out and I think he cant see, because the food goes right by him and he swims into the rocks. Pretty much he spends 90% of his time sitting on the sand laying on his side. I feel really bad, this has been going on for 2 weeks. He doesnt really eat, unless the food goes right into his mouth. What should I do? I am considering putting him out of his misery but I dont know. Any ideas?

pic is attached, I had to tap the glass multiple times to get this angle or else he just lays on his side.

Attachments

• clown.jpg
    clown.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 78
It`s not looking to great. I would just make sure of pristine water conditions. Usually bulging eyes (pop eye) can be cured just by improving water parameters. Maybe some fish food soaked in garlic or selcon might help. BTW what are your water test results.

Here are teh readings...

PH 8.8
Ammo 0ppm
Nirtite 0ppm
Nitrate 15ppm
Salt 1.03 (i am using a swing arm)

Should I do a PWC?

Yes do some frequent PWC`s your salinity should be around 1.024. Recheck your salinity

Also, we used to had a plate coral that died 3 weeks ago. We put in some chems for the coral.

3 teaspoons of Liquid Magnesium (Salifert)
3 teaspoons of All In One (Salifert)
3 teaspoons of Mineral Supplement (Strontium & Molybdenum (Kent Marine)

these 3 teaspoons were over the course of 2-3 weeks

All these things the LFS recommended. I get the feeling he is just trying to sell me [moderator edit] and I dont really need these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would lower your salinity in your PWC water so it will slowly bring it down to where it needs to be.

Keeping your water in pristine conditions will help him recover. As others have said, gradually bring down the salinity to 1.025 to help him out. If he is really cut up from the trigger you may also want to look into some additives that promote healing with aloe, it is usually sold as stuff to help them rebuild lost scales and fins.

In the mean time, to get him to eat you will have to target feed him so he stays nourished if he's still not moving around.

i read that the trigger family is brutal and pretty much will attack anything thats generally smaller then him. But even that is not a guarentee as they will attack each other unless introduced in a group at youth

You should not add any additives to the main tank unless you can test for them, even then, a simple pwc will replenish low levels of the elements and calcium. I suggest getting a refractometer as hydrometers can become a nightmare.

is there any way you can seperate the clown so as not to hurt itself any more on the LR without stressing him,target feed and PWC.

well one your ph is way to high it needs to be between 8.0 to 8.4, your salinity should be 1.018 to 1.024 at most there are some meds for pop eye. melafix and/or pimafix treats for pop eye, and more. always good to have around.

Back
Top Bottom