What small fish have the best personality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a pair of percula clowns that are very personable. One is big, one is little, and they are always together - usually begging for food.

I would recommend a bicolor blenny -

Mine is very personable. He hops from rock to rock, then ducks into one for awhile. Not to mention he eats hair algae.

Very cool fish...

-Logan

And the winners are...

Royal Gramma
lg_72316.jpg

Yellowhead Jawfish
lg_71432.jpg

During this process, my wife convinced herself that we should upgrade to a much larger tank in about a year so she can get a Flame Angel. The tank is currently in a baby room we are building, once the baby gets moving around a lot, the tank has to be moved, then it is upgrade time :D

awsome! Give us some pictures when they arrive!

I have heard alot of good things about the Royal Gramma...Kinda makes me reconsider my fish list a bit! (hmmm......Do I really want a Flame Angel?)

Ok, I have fish now! I passed on the Jawfish because I could not find any more locally, and I needed a swimmer. So, I got a Clownfish, and a Royal Gramma. Not sure if the Clownfish is a True Percular or an Ocellaris, but it love swimming around the tank :p

I really like my strawberry pseudo. He has a lot of personality and when I am sitting in front of my tank watching everything, he follows me when I move around to the sides which I think is pretty cool. Awesome awesome fish in my book.

Josh

Most likely your clown is a Ocellaris. You can ask the pet store. they usually only carry Ocellaris and will get a few wild caught Percs in from time to time. Or, post a pic! we will tell you!

I got the Clownfish at Petco, they had no clue if it was a False or a True Percula when I asked. The tank was labelled "Tank Raised Percula $14.99". Then I figured since it was tank raise, it must be an Ocellaris, only to find that some True Percs are tank raised too? I got the Clownfish at Petco because they have a long warranty on their livestock and in the unlikely event my tank was "bad", I could get another fish.

I picked up the Royal Gramma at a LFS that had the RG for a while.

The clown is most likely an Ocellaris. I have two of those myself. they are so beautiful and they have wonderful personalities.

and shame on you for encouraging Petco to carry Saltwater fish by purchasing one there! :lol:

how is the royal gramma doing? I am considereing one for myself.

Don't trust the Petco warranty, it is for freshwater and not saltwater fish. If the cashier gave you the purchase ticket that the salesperson gave you, read it. They claim no warranty on saltwater or brackish fish. I hope you qt this fish. Petco is notorious for having diseases in their tanks.

I'm not against Petco - just would like to see them universally take better care of their tanks. Saw too many sick fish and inverts at two local Petco's. Nobody in the stores had any idea how to take care of saltwater tanks.

JMHO

and shame on you for encouraging Petco to carry Saltwater fish by purchasing one there!

Shame on every LFS in my area for having zero warranty on livestock :p

how is the royal gramma doing? I am considereing one for myself.

It is doing very well. As soon as I put it in the tank, it established a cave as its territory and it spends most of its time in there. It pokes out from behind the rocks constantly to see what is going on. Every few minutes, it will swim all the way out of the cave and swim around some other rocks. When it is feeding time, the RG tries to stay within about an inch of its cave and local LR while stuffing itself. Really amusing stuff, the RG tries being patient and not leave the LR while the Clownfish goes crazy and usually eats the food the instant before it drifts to the RG's area :D

Congrats on the purchase! One word of caution on Petco fish...here they do NOT warrenty the SW fish. I choose not to buy from them because nobody has a clue or any knowledge on SW fish. However, they do have great prices. The most important thing is to QT any fish you buy from large chain stores. Most of the tank systems utilize the same water and same filtration for all of the SW displays. If one tank has a fish with Ick, they all have it. QT any fish for at least 6 weeks and i am sure you will be just fine. Good luck...Lando

This Petco even gave me an extra copy of the warranty/acclimation card. Maybe they just told me that since that was my entire reason for getting the fish there :roll: On the sad chance my fish were to die, I would have to go back there and make a scene until I got a refund/replacement, warranty or not :p

The largest real LFS in my area has about 30 or 40 tanks on a single closed loop/sump system, that is where I got the RG, doh.

I would be willing to bet you will need to make a pretty big scene to get them to act on the warrenty if anything happens to your clown. Hopefully it will not come to that.

This Petco is not too bad as far as Petcos are concerned. A lady walked up to the fish area with a glass fishbowl and a can of food when I was getting my Clown. She was like, "One of those Goldfish please, those look like a nice gift". The salesperson was like, "How big of a tank are you putting it in?" and the lady held up the fishbowl. Then the sales person said, "Well, that would be good for a couple of days, then your Goldfish would die and that would not make it a good present for anyone. They only sell those bowls for marketing, but you should never put a fish in one unless you want it to die. Go buy a 10g tank kit and a gravel siphon and set that up, then I can sell you a Goldfish." The lady put down the bowl and food, and left the store :p

WOW! good for the salesperson!

although, I had two feeder goldfish in a bowl for nearly a year. that was my first leap into the hobby when I was 8. (the fish both nearly died a number of times, but we won't go into that. :wink: )

anyways, I am sure that you will take good care of your Clown and the warinty will never be needed.

My Clown has some white patches around his face :( :( :( :( :( :( :( So much for thinking that PetCo was good. Looks fungal or bacterial but there is so little of it there, it is hard to tell. ph 8.2 / ammo 0 / ites 0 / ates < 10 or so. Temp 78 to 79F. I might turn a bucket into QT or go grab the spare 10g tank in my basement and start treatment.

Gonna be interesting to try to wait this one out for a couple days and see how it goes. I have my fingers crossed that the fish gets better with a couple of water changes. I typically made moves too quickly in my freshwater tank when I start off.

The Royal Gramma looks perfect and comes out of his hiding areas all the time now.

Unfortunately you purchased from PetCo. My stepfather has dropped about $150 on fish that have all died from various diseases/parasites from PetCo. Hopefully you have better luck with that.

One thing people didn't mention about the firefish, the dorsel fin "clicks". It is really quite peculiar. They aren't that interesting comparitively speaking, but they are peaceful to the eyes and they hover in open area constantly "clicking" their dorsel fin. The purple firefish hover as well, and personally look better but lack the long, clicking dorsel fin. Not to mention all other fish leave these "dartfish" alone (save for the niger trigger.. again, something for another post).

In addition, I hope you have better luck with your royal gramma as the one we had didn't last long (probably due to numerous circumstances).

Do you have a small UV sterilizer on your tank? That keeps all the bugs away from my system. :)

the Purple Firefish "clicks" its fin as well. sure its a bit shorter, but it is also a bright redish purple colored fin. very pretty fish.

Back
Top Bottom