Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2004, 10:50 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
and shame on you for encouraging Petco to carry Saltwater fish by purchasing one there!
Shame on every LFS in my area for having zero warranty on livestock :P

Quote:
how is the royal gramma doing? I am considereing one for myself.
It is doing very well. As soon as I put it in the tank, it established a cave as its territory and it spends most of its time in there. It pokes out from behind the rocks constantly to see what is going on. Every few minutes, it will swim all the way out of the cave and swim around some other rocks. When it is feeding time, the RG tries to stay within about an inch of its cave and local LR while stuffing itself. Really amusing stuff, the RG tries being patient and not leave the LR while the Clownfish goes crazy and usually eats the food the instant before it drifts to the RG's area

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on the purchase! One word of caution on Petco fish...here they do NOT warrenty the SW fish. I choose not to buy from them because nobody has a clue or any knowledge on SW fish. However, they do have great prices. The most important thing is to QT any fish you buy from large chain stores. Most of the tank systems utilize the same water and same filtration for all of the SW displays. If one tank has a fish with Ick, they all have it. QT any fish for at least 6 weeks and i am sure you will be just fine. Good luck...Lando

Old 12-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

This Petco even gave me an extra copy of the warranty/acclimation card. Maybe they just told me that since that was my entire reason for getting the fish there On the sad chance my fish were to die, I would have to go back there and make a scene until I got a refund/replacement, warranty or not :P

The largest real LFS in my area has about 30 or 40 tanks on a single closed loop/sump system, that is where I got the RG, doh.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 12-27-2004, 11:10 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would be willing to bet you will need to make a pretty big scene to get them to act on the warrenty if anything happens to your clown. Hopefully it will not come to that.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:47 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

This Petco is not too bad as far as Petcos are concerned. A lady walked up to the fish area with a glass fishbowl and a can of food when I was getting my Clown. She was like, "One of those Goldfish please, those look like a nice gift". The salesperson was like, "How big of a tank are you putting it in?" and the lady held up the fishbowl. Then the sales person said, "Well, that would be good for a couple of days, then your Goldfish would die and that would not make it a good present for anyone. They only sell those bowls for marketing, but you should never put a fish in one unless you want it to die. Go buy a 10g tank kit and a gravel siphon and set that up, then I can sell you a Goldfish." The lady put down the bowl and food, and left the store :P

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
WOW! good for the salesperson!

although, I had two feeder goldfish in a bowl for nearly a year. that was my first leap into the hobby when I was 8. (the fish both nearly died a number of times, but we won't go into that. )

anyways, I am sure that you will take good care of your Clown and the warinty will never be needed.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:59 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Watchman Goby and Clown w00t
Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Clown has some white patches around his face So much for thinking that PetCo was good. Looks fungal or bacterial but there is so little of it there, it is hard to tell. ph 8.2 / ammo 0 / ites 0 / ates < 10 or so. Temp 78 to 79F. I might turn a bucket into QT or go grab the spare 10g tank in my basement and start treatment.

Gonna be interesting to try to wait this one out for a couple days and see how it goes. I have my fingers crossed that the fish gets better with a couple of water changes. I typically made moves too quickly in my freshwater tank when I start off.

The Royal Gramma looks perfect and comes out of his hiding areas all the time now.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-31-2004, 01:11 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately you purchased from PetCo. My stepfather has dropped about $150 on fish that have all died from various diseases/parasites from PetCo. Hopefully you have better luck with that.

One thing people didn't mention about the firefish, the dorsel fin "clicks". It is really quite peculiar. They aren't that interesting comparitively speaking, but they are peaceful to the eyes and they hover in open area constantly "clicking" their dorsel fin. The purple firefish hover as well, and personally look better but lack the long, clicking dorsel fin. Not to mention all other fish leave these "dartfish" alone (save for the niger trigger.. again, something for another post).

In addition, I hope you have better luck with your royal gramma as the one we had didn't last long (probably due to numerous circumstances).

Do you have a small UV sterilizer on your tank? That keeps all the bugs away from my system.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:16 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
the Purple Firefish "clicks" its fin as well. sure its a bit shorter, but it is also a bright redish purple colored fin. very pretty fish.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com