Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What small fish have the best personality?

I am in the process of picking out two fish for my 15g tank. I am not going to buy the fish until the end of this month, and may likely have to order them through a LFS which is going to take some time anyway. By the time I get the fish, I will have an additional 10 pounds of LR in the tank (roughly 22 pounds total), along with a protein skimmer. This tank will be almost 4 months old when the fish go in. I will be getting a Cleaner Shrimp at the same time as the fish as well.

I am looking for colorful fish with personality. When people look in the tank, I want them to see something interesting, not necessarily something swimming around all the time.

Here are my considerations (pics from www.liveaquaria.com):

Ocellaris Clown:

Firefish:

Royal Gramma:

Watchman Goby:

Yellowhead Jawfish:

Bicolor Blenny:

Pick two of the above, or reccomend something totally different if you want

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

orchid dotty back and neon dotty back are also very cool fish. they poke in and out of rock and swim in the open water areas. also a bi color blenny is small and neat to watch

steve r

Old 12-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I had my choice I would go with the clown and the gramma, or a pair of clowns. Not sure if the tank would be too small for the gramma though. Both choices would give you a lot of movement and personality.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Check out the neon blue goby also. Maybe a mated pair if you can. Hangs out perched on rocks. Very small with big color.

I'm also pretty partial to blenny personality personality!! Bicolor (perches on the rock), vampire, canary. The last 2 swim in the open & have a venomous bite, so don't handle them when netting. Otherwise they pose no danger to you - only other fish that may try to attack them.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
a pair of Ocellarious clowns are great! Clowns really should be kept in pairs anyway. They are all waggily and cute, very alert! and ALWAYS hungry!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:12 PM   #6

I like bi color blennies, very curious and active fish.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get two of these!!!!!!!!

For personality it doesn't get any better than a jawfish!!!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

By popular request, I added the Bicolor Blenny to the list of considerations

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personality wise my clown is great. His jokes suck tho'.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have two jawfish, and they have great personalities. I can watch for hours as they work on their burrows.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com