What the heck are these spots on my Cleaner Shrimp??? w/ Pic...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I had just fed my tank today, and looked at Jacque my cleaner shrimp. He has what looks like pepper all over him. Since I am 99% sure he didn't break out and roll around in the pepper shaker, what the heck are these black spots?

He had just molted Saturday...

Of note, I checked my water params adn they are stellar, got my trates down to 15-25. The shrimp is eating like a champ also.

What could this be? I searched (AA and Google) and found nothing definite.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 193
No man I was hoping someone would chime in with some experience. Maybe it did roll around in the pepper. Lol

As an update - two of three os my shrimps left legs fell off. I kid you not, THEY FELL OFF!!!

I still have no idea what is going on with this guy, but I would guess its not good.

So weird, sorry don't know the problem. I tried looking it up too..wouldn't want that to happen to my shrimp..and people asked that on different forums, but people just had guesses and no definite answer...sorry, hopefully someone knows.

Well the shrimp is still alive and kicking!!! He is even chasing food (with only one leg on one side). I noticed that he is picking at his body almost constantly.

I sure hope a molt cures this. He just molted last week, so we'll see if he can hold out until next time.

If so, then I may try to fashion him a prosthetic leg out of a toothpick. He'll be the million dollar shrimp!!!

Such a shame, I really like this little guy. I'll be simply inconsolible if he succumbs to the pepper.

I feel for you, but have no idea what the black specks are. I LOVE my cleaner, and would hate to see that happening. Sounds like he's having a rough go of it. Hope it gets better for him!!

Looks like a form of Taura Syndrome Virus. I have only heard of it but never seen it before. Maybe try google and see if it looks the same. If not maybe it's just preparing to molt. Just a guess....

Thanks everyone...

I read up on TSV, and it does indeed look similar. However, I was unable to find any info on prognosis or how to heal him.

My fingers are really crossed he gets better. He was chasing food like normal this evening, but he really does look atrocious.

Here's 3 more pics... notice his one leg.

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 118
That's very interesting. It sounds like they either live or die on their own. It said if they live they are carriers. That would affect any other shrimp.

FlopNewsom said:
That's very interesting. It sounds like they either live or die on their own. It said if they live they are carriers. That would affect any other shrimp.

With that said, I think I would put him in a ziplock and put it in the freezer to put him down. No point in letting it suffer and taking the chance that it affect anything else in the tank.

Packohotdogs said:
Thanks everyone...

I read up on TSV, and it does indeed look similar. However, I was unable to find any info on prognosis or how to heal him.

My fingers are really crossed he gets better. He was chasing food like normal this evening, but he really does look atrocious.

Here's 3 more pics... notice his one leg.

Well, he might live but be a little deformed? Thats okay. If he's still running around and eating, I'd wait it out, see how he does.

Minkota said:
With that said, I think I would put him in a ziplock and put it in the freezer to put him down. No point in letting it suffer and taking the chance that it affect anything else in the tank.

I'm going to see if he's better after he molts. I don't have any other shrimp, and my hermits and fish wont be affected by tsv. Fingers crossed!!!

Boooo, my two shrimps have the caught a bit of your plague too, it only happened today but we seem to be keeping hold of our legs at the mo.

Watch this space

:-(

Leedowlrods said:
Boooo, my two shrimps have the caught a bit of your plague too, it only happened today but we seem to be keeping hold of our legs at the mo.

Watch this space

:-(

Sorry to heat that lee. Good news is that the lil guy seems to be behaving 100% normal. Hopefully he pulls through!!!

Keep us posted.... I'll do the same!

Update... Jacque my cleaner shrimp just kicked the proverbial bucket. A second ago he was eating, then I looked again and he was keeled over with two crabs on him.

I looked like he had tried to molt, but maybe he couldn't due to his missing legs.

BOOOOOO!!!!!

RIP Jacque... Aug 2012 - Oct 2012.

Back
Top Bottom