Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What to do about my clowns??

Okay so I just added 2 maroon clowns to my tank that already had 2 damsels in it (a blue and a lemon) The first few days the lemon one kept chasing and nipping at the newcomers. Well he has stopped nipping but now each clown stayes in an oposite corner of the tank and will not swim around. Should I just take the lemon one out? Why are they just staying seperated in the corners of the tank?....however they are eating whenever I feed them. Also I bought an anemene the same time I got the clowns...the clowns act like its not even there Do you think I just ended up with clowns that will not host or do you think they will act better if I get rid of the damsels?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
Fyi, the clowns don't usually host an anemone, even if you bought one with the sole purpose of the clownfishs, so don't worry about that. As for the damsels, I hope someone can chim in and help you with that issue.

bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s not always a guarantee that clowns will host an anenome IME. My two settled for corals instead of the anenome I bought. Clownfish are basically damsels. Damsels will get pretty mean. I would think about getting rid of the two damsels and that should take care of the fighting for now.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

True, any other newcomers might get the same harrasment from the damsels. If you really want damsels, get some later and make them the last additions. Were the clowns already a mated pair?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #5

No they were not together in the same tank when I bought them. I noticed one of them has a little chip taken out of his fin...will this grow back? I think I am going to get rid of the lemon one and keep the blue one, He has not shown any aggresion at all but the lemon is mean as a snake
Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Are the clowns very different in size? Either you get lucky and they'll settle into the female and male roles.....

or one of them kills the other.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #7

They are basically the same size. I dont know what to do now. Do you think it will be ok to get rid of just the lemon since the blue one has never shown any sign of aggresion?
Im not too bothered about the fact that they probably will not choose to host the anenome, I like having it just because they are so facinating.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmg108 View Post
Okay so I just added 2 maroon clowns to my tank that already had 2 damsels in it (a blue and a lemon) The first few days the lemon one kept chasing and nipping at the newcomers. Well he has stopped nipping but now each clown stayes in an oposite corner of the tank and will not swim around. Should I just take the lemon one out? Why are they just staying seperated in the corners of the tank?....however they are eating whenever I feed them. Also I bought an anemene the same time I got the clowns...the clowns act like its not even there Do you think I just ended up with clowns that will not host or do you think they will act better if I get rid of the damsels?
2 maroons in the same tank are usually a bad Idea. I'd only do it if one is bigger than the other, and I'd never add the smaller one later. I think that you may have issues with them later other than the damsels. Maroons are very territorial. If you resolve the damsel situation (probably will have to choose clowns or damsels, and take one ot the other back to the LFS), the maroons will probably go after each other. I have one, I love it, but the can be very aggressive in certain situations. i.e. more than one of same species in the same tank
Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoluvr View Post
2 maroons in the same tank are usually a bad Idea. I'd only do it if one is bigger than the other, and I'd never add the smaller one later. I think that you may have issues with them later other than the damsels. Maroons are very territorial. If you resolve the damsel situation (probably will have to choose clowns or damsels, and take one ot the other back to the LFS), the maroons will probably go after each other. I have one, I love it, but the can be very aggressive in certain situations. i.e. more than one of same species in the same tank
Ok so I am going after work to take 2 back, my new thought is to keep one Maroon clown and my blue damsel (since I have never had an aggresion problem from him) my only question is when I am wanting to add another fish (I would like to add a yellow tang next) will they terrorize him too? Ugh this is frusterating!!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
Damsels are aggressive. There's no easy way to put it. Clowns are damselfish as well. I dunno....it's hard to say. I have a Zebra Goby w/ my maroon clown, and they do great. I've also kept a Royal gramma w/ a maroon clown and it was fine. But then, I never had a damsel in there w/ them. It's hard to say. A tang may be ok, but I've never kept one in with my maroon.

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com