What type of parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
My ballast died yesterday and he fish never had any light today.. (for around 48 hours), the aquarium is in a basement, so not much natural light either.

I jus installed the new ballast, and my fish look sick.
My Sailfin tang has litle salt grain sized dots all over his fins. (including tail, his sail, and gills). My blue tang has tonnes of the same dots covering every inch of his body.

The girlfriend said she saw 2-3 dots on them around a week ago, but not since then.

They are eating healthy, swimming around as normal, and NOT flashing.

So is this ich, or what other similar disease can it be? I'm hoping to isolate my possibilities so I can take care of the disease/parasite most effectively.

I should also note my little clown is not showing any signs of disease/parasite.

A picture would help, but I have a hunch it's ich. The fact that your girlfriend saw just a few specks on them a week ago, they went away, and now you're seeing even more specks... that pretty much describes the life cycle of ich.

Sounds like they had it before the lighting incident, and maybe perhaps the lack of lighting for a couple days stressed the fish out a bit and made them more susceptible to it?

The lights going out stressed the fish which weakened the immune system even more than normal and the ich took advantange. My ballast just burned out too earlier this week. My Hippo Tang was freaking out and pretty much hid the entire time. About 80-hours later I got my new ballast and everything was back to normal.
I guess that hyposalinity treatment and fallow main tank I did for ich back in January really did work :uzi:ICH

Back
Top Bottom