Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2004, 07:48 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to arizona reefer
just a option, if you dont like the live rock you could get a sump and keep the ugly live rock in it. you would still be getting all the benifits of live rock but with out the look you dont like in your tank. what im afaid of though is that no matter what you put into your tank, with out something to get rid of the algae you will have it growing on the new tank items.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:44 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicjones
I would have to agree with the others here about the amount of lighting. I have a 265 watt coralife compact fluorescent fixture on my tank. I can literally see the coralline algae growing by the week.
Well i always thought that you needed a reef tank to put a lights of that wattage in the tank. My tank is just fish only. Wouldnt that light cause stress on my puffer and other fish since they arent in a reef aquarium?

here are some pics of the tank + algae,

bad

http://www.angelfire.com/scary/wazuph2o/2picture002.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/scary/wazuph2o/2picture001.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/scary/wazuph2o/2picture005.jpg

Old 08-03-2004, 06:19 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I could only see one pic. But it looks like a bad case of hair algae I would go for an urchin to help keep it grazed. The puffer shouldn't mess with it
Old 08-03-2004, 07:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb2
I could only see one pic. But it looks like a bad case of hair algae I would go for an urchin to help keep it grazed. The puffer shouldn't mess with it
ok the pictures havent been working so i tried another hosting serivce

http://usera.imagecave.com/wazuph2o/tank/

This should work. Also Even w/o the hair algae the rock has lost its red/purple coloring. What can be causing the hair algae and how do i stop it. What are my other options besides buying an urchin. Also i have heard that using seachem reef or something like that, it will help my lr regain the good coraline algae within 4 months. Is this true? If so, should i wait untill this bad algae goes away before adding the seachem. I do not want to add the algae covered LR to the new tank untill it has been fully ridden of it.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:16 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of water are you using? I used to have hair algae so bad you couldn't even see the rocks. I had urchins, crabs, snails and nudibraches in there to help but they barely made a dent in it. My tap water is high in nitrates which didn't help. I bought a RO/DI unit and within a month the hair algae was gone. I belive the hair algae killed alot of my coralline as well but it's coming back and looking great. HTH
Old 08-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Testing for phosphate would be a good idea. Then RO/DI water for top-offs and changes. How old are the bulbs in your current fixture?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
After making sure your water is right, get a pincushion urchin. I got one a couple weeks ago and he eats 3 times as much as both of my long spined urchins combined. He will eventually eat all the hair algae and then he will start eating coralline, but you wont have to worry about nuisance algae anymore.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazuph2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by darb2
ok the pictures havent been working so i tried another hosting serivce

http://usera.imagecave.com/wazuph2o/tank/

This should work. Also Even w/o the hair algae the rock has lost its red/purple coloring. What can be causing the hair algae and how do i stop it. What are my other options besides buying an urchin. Also i have heard that using seachem reef or something like that, it will help my lr regain the good coraline algae within 4 months. Is this true? If so, should i wait untill this bad algae goes away before adding the seachem. I do not want to add the algae covered LR to the new tank untill it has been fully ridden of it.
No wonder you think lr is ugly. I haven't had this problem (yet), but I can tell you that that is not how lr is supposed to look. Look through some of the pictures in the photo gallery and I'll bet you'll change your mind about lr.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:13 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hair algae like that isn't normal. I wouldn't experiment with cleaners, because that doesn't eliminate the problem. You have an abundance of nutrients, are you using tapwater? Also, some puffers have urchin's on their natural menus...they could end up being a snack like everything else even though you'd think the spines would be intimidating. IMO, improving the water quality will go far in eliminating the hair algae while promoting better conditions for desirable algaes.

As far as lighting, you can upgrade the lighting without going to all out "reef lighting". PC's are a nice enhancement, and should not bother the puffer. Some folks have said they grow coralline with NO lighting, I have never been able to.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #30

well i am going 2nite to get my water tested by an expert water tester I told you that LR was ugly After i get my results i will then take this to a new level as some have you described, RO, urchins. lighting. I will review each one of your posts and will decide what actian to take after the results

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com