Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2004, 07:10 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. Let us know what ou find out. Hopefully you can get some answers.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:24 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can see why you think LR is ugly. Getting your water in check will help, as will upgrading your lights. I'm also guessing you have really low water flow. What kind of pumps are you using?

Old 08-04-2004, 05:14 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy
I can see why you think LR is ugly. Getting your water in check will help, as will upgrading your lights.
I have always thought the lights in the tank didnt matter as long as it wasnt a reef tank. What kinds of lights do you guys suggest? The LFS was closed up early 2nite for some odd reason So i will have to go tomorrow. Also, i am faced with sort of a dilema here. I have this new 240 gallon tank waiting out in my garage but i dont want to put all of this algae covered LR in there thinking that it might ruin the new tank. So i was planning to treat it in the 75 gallon and once it got better then i would put it in the 240 gallon and set that tank up. But now i might be better off just buying new rock if it is going to take new light fixtures for the 75 gallon which would cost hundreds of dollars and i will be moving to a new tank in a month or so. So i might be just better off throwing all the LR out and buying new LR for the 240 if i need to buy light fixtures and all this stuff for the 75 which would only be used for a month. I hope there is around this though. Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 06:19 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If yur tank is relatively new, then algae bloom is normal.
Quote:
So i might be just better off throwing all the LR out and buying new LR for the 240
Without any sort of algae eater, the new live rock will turn out to look like the old stuff.
What are the dimensions of the 240? There must be a way to use lights from the 75 (probably 4') on the larger tank. Even if you buy a light for the 240 and temporairly mount it pendant style.
I also did not see any mention of power heads. You should have 10 times the tank volume for water flow.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:30 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

IME horseshoe crabs are very good at keeping hair algae at bay, and they're kind of unusual and fun to watch. If you have at least 2 in of sand or fine crushed coral you can get a few of them...
Old 08-04-2004, 06:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by frshwaterfinatc
IME horseshoe crabs are very good at keeping hair algae at bay, and they're kind of unusual and fun to watch. If you have at least 2 in of sand or fine crushed coral you can get a few of them...
i do have 1 maxi jet 900 powerhead in the tank and with the fluval circulating back into the tank and the little bit of help from the emperor circulating water back into the tank, i think water circulation is OK. I can use my current lights from my 75 on the new tank but people are talking about buying new light fixtures for the 75. New light bulbs wouldnt be that bad but fixtures is a whole other story. I have been reading up about this hair algae and learned that nudibranches are excellent hair algae cleaners. Although if i buy them will my puffer eat it and will it make the puffer sick if he does? I think i will buy 1 nudibranch and see if he lasts a couple of days and if he does then i will buy some more. Although i highly doubt that all of those nudibranches can eat all of that hair algae. Ive come to the conclusion that i also dont want to setup the new tank untill i find out what went wrong with the LR in the 75 so i dont have the same problem. Hmmmm Horshoe crabs, nudibranches,......how long are they going to last with my always hungry and never full puffer.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:43 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
What are the dimensions of the 240? There must be a way to use lights from the 75 (probably 4') on the larger tank. Even if you buy a light for the 240 and temporairly mount it pendant style
ny point was to buy a new fixture that will work on both.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:46 AM   #38

so i should just buy a fixture that fits the 240 perfectly but will be huge on the 75. I need to buy a fixture for the 240 anywayz
Old 08-04-2004, 02:10 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Quote:
Originally Posted by frshwaterfinatc
I tried adding a Horshoe to my tank and my puffer went straight for it. I had to beat him off with a stick and get the Horshoe out as quickly as possible. He obviously recognized it as food and wasnt going to take no for an answer. It might be worth a try, but be prepared to get the Horshoe back out in a hurry.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:04 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

YA, I think a horseshoe would be taost. They do not make great tank additions anyways. They have a tendency to stir up the substrate a bit too much.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com