Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Interesting question. I must have between 200-300 britle stars in my tank of vairying sizes. A lot of them are not complete, missing a leg or two. Never really wondered why until now...

How big is your tank? Can I come over to see :P ?

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

72gal. Seriously, they are everywhere. 200-300 is a very rough estimate. I recently got back from vacation and had some algae on my glass. I counted over 100 just on my overflow and glass. makes me wonder how many tiny ones are on the 150lbs of LR I have. Its like the more you look the more you find.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

What ever the problem is it has eaten into its body now. It is on its death bed.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a water quality or acclimation issue. Was it a LR hitchhiker? If so I would not sweat it. The shipping process is rough on stars-being out of water, cold temps. etc. Also did you test your Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels lately?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

He was a survivor from the package that UPS left in the sun. It looks like something was tearing him apart. It was into his body and some brown gunk was coming out of him, He was still moving but I went ahead and put him out of his misery. Can something like this happen from the temperature of being left in the sun? What in water chemistry can cause this?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Can something like this happen from the temperature of being left in the sun? What in water chemistry can cause this?
Maybe the stress from being left in the sun.
How long did you acclimate him for? I would say that is usually the problem with stars.
Quote:
It looks like something was tearing him apart. It was into his body and some brown gunk was coming out of him
definitely not a predator, thats how they die.

Quote:
What in water chemistry can cause this?
any trace of ammonia, or nitrite, too high nitrate, low PH....basically anything less than perfect water quality. These type of inverts are the "barometers" of water quality.

Tags
star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com