whats actually needed for a qt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
im will have my tank up and cycling this weekend...i need to know exactly what i should have for my 10 gal qt tank...(bare minimum) i want to get my qt up and goin while my main is cycling...does the qt have to cycle also or do u just take water from the main? i have no clue how to set up the qt

Tank, filter, heater, light. Then of course water and salt. :mrgreen: No sub. mayube a fake rock or 2 but no lr and on ls. Just the basics.

I'm at the same point. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to let the tank finish its cycle and cyphon some of that water into the QT. Looks like I'll be picking up a Wal-mart 10gal package. I suppose I could take whatever filter material comes with it and put it in the main tank to build a little extra bacteria as well.

I suppose I could take whatever filter material comes with it and put it in the main tank to build a little extra bacteria as well.

You could do that but if you have to medicate then you will loose ALL bacteria. Just set your tank up, maybe take the filter and stick in the main tank for a few days, then you should be in business.

Now if you are putting a fish in the qt out of the display tank (for an illness) you would not use anything from the main tank at all. Just set up the qt and go.

HTH

Add a couple of pvc fittings for the bacteria to colonize on. This can help cut down on the frequency of water changes in a qt

what type of filter should i put in there? does the qt tank need to cycle? do i syphon what from the main into the qt? im gonna put some pvc fittings in for cover... do i just mix a fresh batch of sw for the qt? how do i get bacteria into the qt so that it is safe for my new fish

I've got a HOB filter on my QT tank, plus a power head, heater, and NO light fixture.
put something under it so the bottom isn't transparent (which can freak fish out)...then you can have an easy to clean bare bottomed QT tank.

I have a 20g qt, and what I did was take 20g out of the main tank to fill the QT. If you are just using it to qt new fish right now, then you can take a sponge that is seeded from your main tank, or a filter that you already have in the main tank, and move it to the qt, and Presto instant cycle! What is you current set up for your qt? :wink:

instead of the filter could i just pull a peice of rock out of my main? after i siphon water from the main?

10 gal, heater, pvc fittings for a little cover, what kinda filter should i get? (just a cheap bio wheel type filter with the removable cartridge?)

If you plan on keeping the QT tank up and running all the time, then Id say the cheap bio wheel filter would be great. I would recommend it over a simple mechanical filter any day. The PVC fittings in the tank were more for a place for bacteria to colonize than for fish cover, but that is another purpose as well.
You need the heater for sure. The heat of the water itself can help cure some problems. The light, I can't give much advise about, but I've also learned that stressed fish may actually prefer a bit darker tank or at least a place to hide. Your fittings should provide that. I would think normal flourescent or incandescent light should be sufficient.

If you are going to only use the QT tank to QT new fish before allowing them into the main tank, then fill the QT tank with water from the main. With a little filtration and some time, youll be able to empty the tank once you introduce the new fish into the main.

If you are going to use the QT to treat a sick fish, then filling it with water from the main may not be a great idea, as the water may be part of the problem for the sick fish in the first place. This is where your constantly running and cycled QT tank would come in handy. We'll both have to get some more input as to the proper uses for a QT tank. I think it depends on how you use it as to the way you set it up.

thank u very much youronlysin...u have basically summed it all up for me and im very clear on how to run my qt tank now....for now the tank will be used purely for new fish...im only gonna have a 30gal for my main and wont have many fish so it probably wont be used very much for sick fish....thanks again....also the water from the main has plenty of bacteria for my new fish in it for the fish and there willl be no need to bring in any other source or bacteria to the qt...is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom