what's everyone's opinion on ozone machines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
like i said, just wanting to know if u guys think they are worth it and do any good. It will be goin on a 90 gallon with sump at the end of the summer.

I was interested in one a while back after reading about them in a book. A few members on here suggested that they can be problematic and if used incorrectly can kill everything in the tank. I wouldn't mind reading more about them thought or hearing more thoughts on them.

They should be left off the average tank. The average system has no need for ozon injection.

just like most of us dont need chillers.

I've used small corona discharge ozonizers for years and have stopped using them altogether. Yes, it did elevate my Redox potential and probably kept my water cleaner & saturated the water with oxygen, BUT.......... I also had to consider driers due to house humidity in the summer, go through a ton of carbon for the skimmer cap & effluent, buy monitoring equipment for the Redox, and here's the kicker & why I stopped using ozone: after about 5 years, I had to change every bulkhead in my Oceanic Reef Ready setup due to brittle gaskets from guess what: Yes ozone!
I know that it might not be the direct cause, could be defective material but Oceanic usually comes out with quality stuff. Besides, you'll start to notice that all rubber material tends to stiffen whether ozone resistant or not when you apply ozone in your tank.
Of course, this is just my personal opinion. Ozone users, please don't take this the wrong way, I just prefer to go with UV sterilizers now.

alright, thanks for the replies, i'll look into the uv sterilizers

Any particular reason you want one of those, either? IMO, I think both ozone and UV is a little over-hyped and overrated...

well i've been asking around lately, especially the marine biologist at the store, and he said they're not required at all, but the water quality will be better and that any freefloating stuff doesn't need to be there anyway, that i'll have plenty of bacteria and stuff attached to the sand and rock and such. The only thing i'll have to worry about is that it'll keep killin my coral food

I believe the marine biologist is right. I run a UV sterilizer full time. I don't have many blooms that cloud my water, and as long as I dose plankton in the tank, my corals stay pretty happy. I haven't seen a trace of any parasite for a long time, and I don't use the quarantine procedure the others on this forum use when I do see them. I think a UV sterilizer is worthwhile. I haven't ever heard anything good about ozone, though.

UV wont do anything for water quality other than zap any living microb that flows thru the light camber.

But when it comes down to the basis of water quality, (the chemical makeup) the UV does nothing.

Back
Top Bottom