Whats happening - brown on coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefgazer

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the brown stuff on my coral? Is it something on the coral like disease or something? And how do I get rid of it

Attachments

• image-2941017243.jpg
    image-2941017243.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 165
Whats happening

Does this coral have a disease (the brown on the right hand side)

Attachments

• image-3544363715.jpg
    image-3544363715.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited by a moderator:
It's brown jelly disease. You are losing it. I would take it out and shake it off in some tank water and then put it in a place of stronger flow.

Thanks what I have done is I sucked it off with a syringe last night before I went to bed, and moved it into the middle of the tank where it gets more light and better water flow and this morning when I woke up there was still a little bit however no where near as bad I will see what it is like when I get home from work

I don't know what it's due to. I would say that the odds of keeping a goniopora long term are not good. They just do well for a time then suddenly fail. There are some tank raised specimens that do better, but what you have there is a wild specimen.

I woke up this morning with mine just like that. I'm off work today so I'm blowing it off with a syringe regularly. About 1/3 of mine is dead. Hoping I can save the rest. It is in great flow but is on the sand bed. Should I move it up?

I would not blow off the brown jelly. I would be sucking it out of the tank. I would frag off the dead parts if I could. You will need a dremel or saw to do this.

I had mine for about 4 months but it was completely covered this morning and there is nothing left but the skeleton.

Try something besides goniopora. Or at least find a tank raised specimen. They are like Indonesian Elegance. They look pretty but don't last long.

Back
Top Bottom