Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I believe if there's any chance a fish may recover from a disease or injury they deserve that chance.
This was normally true for me. However once my fish were obviously in extreme distress and I knew I had nothing that was going to save them, taking action was better than watching them die and suffer

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
best way to put a fish down? Call it fat.

ok, seriously though, I would put it in the freezer in a zip lock bag. I hear it just kinda goes to sleep and doesnt wake up. its gentle on the fish and you.

there are probibly better suggestions, but I didn't read any of the other posts.

-Matt

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok, seriously though, I would put it in the freezer in a zip lock bag. I hear it just kinda goes to sleep and doesnt wake up. its gentle on the fish and you.

there are probibly better suggestions, but I didn't read any of the other posts.
Read my earlier posts, the freezer method isn't gentle, nor quick. I would only reccomend this if you want to make your fish twitch around and suffer for almost half an hour.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

this is also the down side of this discussion. everyone must respect each others opinions and try to refrain from inflamitory remarks.

if this get out of hand this thread will be locked.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
if this get out of hand this thread will be locked.
Well, thanks for reminding us again but nothing bad except for the "guillotine" and the "Call it fat."comments has been said in this thread so far. I would agree that when dealing with death, those comments are probably better left out though...

Feels liks 3rd grade when the teachers just assume you are going to screw off during recess and get in trouble... :P

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 01-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock3000
I would only reccomend this if you want to make your fish twitch around and suffer for almost half an hour.
The above, by you, is what I consider an inflamitory remark. There were no assumptions made. My comment was a response to an action taken.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
the death thread

edit: I did this before someone says something that can't be taken back. This is a sensitive subject to some and it was taking a bad turn a while back IMO.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

I'm unlocking this, everyone take 10 deep breaths and come back feeling peaceful. I think it's easy to get hypersensitive about a subject like this, I agree it is an important topic that can stand to be brought up a couple of times a year. Everyone just remember to state your opinion and leave it at that. Support your opinion with facts in your post and there will be no need to reply again, you do not have to answer every post with a differing opinion that yours. Make your statement and let others use their judgement to decide which method they may use, if presented with a situation that warrants it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

I remember the last time this topic came up. There were a few jokes, no problems and it was much less tense...
Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard that if you add Alcaseltzer(spelling?) tablets in a cup of water with the fish it will put the fish to sleep quickly, than you cut it's head off.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com