Whats the best way to put a fish down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've read some sick things lately as I just had to put one of my fw fish down such as using a blender, electricuting the fish or just beating him with a hammer... to be honest I had a hard enough time using alcohol...

anyways.. I mixed a glass of water with some alcohol and the fish was out before he hit the bottom of the glass.. just a couple of twitches in his tail but it seemed pretty painless for him

The only time I had to do this I used ice water. I put cold water in a bowl and then put a fair amount of ice in. Still enough to permit the fish to be fully covered in water. I mixed the ice and water up until the water was so cold I could not keep my hand in it for more than a few seconds. Then I put the fish in. Everything was done in less than 5 seconds. I was acutally suprised at how fast this happened. Since fish are cold blooded when they are placed in an enviorment where the tempeature is below 40F their systems basicly shut down.

our son decided to physically remove his mollie from its tank to tell it that it could not go near the filter or it would get eaten up and spit out, dont think this is very humane, but it works. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom