What's the purpose of a chaotic water flow pattern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To simulate waves, reduce the amount of dead spots, reduce the amount of collected detrius in crevices due to constant flow patterns, keep things interesting.

If you "crash" your multiple PH flow together just right it can make some very unpredictable flow patterns which is nice.

To simulate conditions on a natural reef as closely as possible. Most corals will do better with changing flow conditions that make them wave back and forth than they will with laminar flow always hitting them from the same side. Another reason is to eliminate dead spots in the tank. If your flow patterns don't change, detritus will collect in these dead spots.

The dead spots on the rock and sand arent the only aspect of "dead spots." think about an sps coral that doesnt move. If its just getting current on one side, it will have an "upstream" side and a "down stream" side. Which means that ditritus can collect in the bends and pores of the "down stream" side. Constant movement reduces that risk.

Squishy

Flow does several things and a couple that hasn't been mentioned is gas exchange, sedentary inverts require waterflow to bring them O2 and to remove waste gasses. They also require waterflow to bring them food, keep detritus in suspension, etc...

For a standard rectangular aquarium, how would you achieve this type of flow? For example, on a 75 gal, would a PH on each end suffice, in addition to any motion created by an Emperor 400 HOB, and a protein skimmer?

That would still be laminear flow. Once all the powerheads are up and running they will establish a flow pattern that will only deviate if broken by something blocking the stream. To get a truer wave action, you need the flow to switch back and forth. From my understanding, the wave action will help with corals, but with a healthy overall flow it is not entirely necessary.

the wave action stuff can wait till you get your tank established and to the point where adding corals makes good sense.

It is a little more chaotic if you have the PH streams crossing each other. I know Egon said not to cross the streams, but it killed Zuel and all, so it can't be all bad.

HAhaha. Man, that movie is too old for me to remember the characters! That was early elementary school years for me.

Hey, it was elementry school for me too! I just remember these things. Man, we grew up on this stuff.

youronlysin said:
LOL!!!! This guy has to be a riot at gatherings. Bearfan, what you doin for the Fourth?

Well, I plan on starting the day off listening to my wife complain about the heat (she'll be 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time) while she sits on the veranda with a glass of kiwi-strawberry Crystal Light and a button. What's the button for, you may ask, somehow, she's managed in my sleep to slip the dog's training collar around my..................neck and is driving me into some serious yard work. I hope to be done by dark, but she'll probably use the excuse that the fireworks provide an additional hour's worth of light...the plight of the bumblebee.

youronlysin said:
LOL!!!! This guy has to be a riot at gatherings. Bearfan, what you doin for the Fourth? :lol:

Forget about him. What happens if the Gate Keeper and the Key Master were to get together at your party? I dont know what would happen, but its gotta be bad.

Bearfan said:
Hey, it was elementry school for me too! I just remember these things. Man, we grew up on this stuff.

Sure we grew!! wait, no! guess some of us didnt do it completely :wink:

When i grow up i wanna be a GhostBuster!

Back
Top Bottom