whats this white stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
whats this white stuff growing on my coral??
its a white layer thing over some of the flowers?
b4 this came i saw like a liquid excreting from it?
what is this? is it disease starting?

sorry for posting soo much times
but i thought i should describe what it looks like
its whitish and it looks like its spreading
looks soft but smooth!

If you refering to the bare spot on the bottom right of the photo, it looks like tissue recession. The sad fact of this coral is it rarely if ever does well in the home aquarium and often lives less than a few months. :(

There is little or nothing you can do to help the coral recover really. They do best in higher nutrient waters which makes our systems somewhat sterile by comparison.

Cheers
Steve

??

so thers nothing i an do about it?
no chemicals or nothing?
dammm
wat a waste of alot of $
what can i do to help it at least?

It's not chemical, it's environmental and something that is not possible to duplicate well enough to keep these types of corals alive. There are a few success stories but I would call them lucky moreso than anything else (no offense to those people).

Cheers
Steve

???

yea i dont think its tissue detrition
its like something is growin on it
right now its covered more and it has like bubbles of the tissue on it?????
like a fungus maybe?i will post pics if i can
but i mean it does not look like a bald spot its like some layer of some tissue is growing on it?

From the pictures you've posted above, the only thing I can see is a bare spot to the bottom right. If you can post a better pic of the affected area and circle it that will help alot.

Aside from the recession, the only thing I can think of is a bacterial infection or the coral is just producting excess slime. :?:

Cheers
Steve

i will post pics soon
but i remember i saw slime comin out of it at that area
so maybe it could be that?
if its bacterial or the slime problem
anything i can do?

If it's bacterial you will also see some discoloration, it will have a clear appearance. In that case you would need to do a few extra water changes with well aged SW and add a good marine vitamin to the water daily for a week. Make sure it's high in Vitamin C. Be sure to reduce the skimmer flow and remove any carbon/resins. It may just simpley be irritated

If it's excess slime, usually caused by irritation then it could be getting to much water flow or it's simpley a feeding response if it happens soon after adding foods to the tank.

Cheers
Steve

???

the pics arent posting?
maybe its too big its 500kb

can u give me ur e-mail address i will email u the pics
i dont have a program on the pc to shrink the pic
sorry for the inconvenience

Re: ???

portion said:
the pics arent posting?
maybe its too big its 500kb

can u give me ur e-mail address i will email u the pics
i dont have a program on the pc to shrink the pic
sorry for the inconvenience

my user name @aquariumadvice.com

Cheers
Steve

Personally I have never seen this before and am not sure what to suggest. Anyone else?

Cheers
Steve

???

should i remove it b4 it affects my other coral?
so far the hammer coral is perfect
i sm soo fustrated about this coral
it saddens me that the guy at the fish store recommended this coral or i have learnt my lesson
do some research first!!

Re: ???

portion said:
should i remove it b4 it affects my other coral?
Coral wasting will not affect the other inhabitants unless there is also necrosis which may bring on brown jelly disease. In that case I would remove it. From what I see so far, there is no reason to remove it yet.

Cheers
Steve

My LFS told me that it was a VERY hardy coral and one of the easiest to take care of when I bought mine.... :x I ended up getting store credit for it, but I did learn a valuable lesson after that coral..... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom