Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now it appears to be 'melting away' where that thread was coming out of:

Is there anything I can or should do, or should I just leave it alone?

Old 11-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #12
steve-s

If there are signs of brown junk in the area, siphon it off very carefully using a small diameter airline hose. Keep it siphoned off every time you see it so it does not spread to the other heads. Be sure the coral is placed in a med flow area as well so it does not promote accumulation. Nothing strong enough to blow the polyps over but somewhat brisk.

Bring your alkalinity up some, closer to the 150-160 ppm area and allow the Ca to drop some closer to 410-415 ppm. Both will reduce the corals stress some. Check your LFS to see what vitamin additives they sell. Vita chem being the best for this type of situation. Add double the recommeneded dose directly to the tank every second day and be sure you remove any sorbant media/carbon for a short time.

You need to get those nitrates down as much as possible. Once bacteria sets in, it's "fuel for the fire" so to speak. Several large water changes over the next few days using well aged/aerated SW will help immensely. Check the chemitry before and after to be sure you stay on target.

How high up the the coral and do you have eggcrate on the tank or any other light difuser?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been trying to raise the alk with baking soda, but it won't budge past 130. I've been adding about a teaspoon of baking soda per day, could I be adding more? The coral is about half way up the tank, in medium flow. The polys sway a decent amount, but aren't 'blown over'. No eggrate or light difuse, just a glass top. Water temp is 77 degrees.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You`ll need something other than baking soda to raise your alk. Go to your LFS and see what he has for raising it to what Steve said. I use Kent`s Coral builder. But there are other products just as good. I believe you have Alk and PH mixed up on your post . Good luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep, I screwed up in my last post, and meant to say "I've been trying to raise the alk with baking soda". Fixed that. PH is steady at 8.4. Just found a mg test kit, I'll check that level tonight.

Steve when you say 'large water change', approximately how 'large'? 25%? 50%?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #16
steve-s

If your alk won't go beyond that level with adding that much baking soda, definately look at the Mg, most likely it is low. If the Ca maintains itself pretty much independantly or climbs without much in the way of additives then it's a sure bet. 1 tspn of baking soda should raise the alk to 170 calculating on 25 gal of actual water volume.

As far as the water change, minimum of 25%. A little more won't hurt at all as long as the water is allowed to mix with a powerhead and heated to the same as the main with a matching pH. Change it every other day for a week at least. Dose the Vita chem (liq vitamin) on the non water change days.

What does your newly mixed SW test at chemistry wise? With that many water changes, it should fix the problem just fine as long as it's not off.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Magnesium tested at 270 ppm, real low. So low, I started a new thread just for that:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=64749

When I do water changes, I do premix, and let 'perculate' for a day with a powerhead and a heater. So, water changes, here I come. Looks like I'm gonna need to go buy some more salt! I've never tested the freshly mixed salt water, I'll do that with the next water change. That won't be until Friday or Saturday, unfortunately, I'm going out of town tomorrow until late Thursday night.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 20
Magnesium tested at 270 ppm, real low. So low, I started a new thread just for that:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=64749
Retest and if it comes out the same get the LFS to test your water. I seriously doubt it's an accurate reading. There is also the possibilty the kit is faulty/out of date. What brand of kit?

FWIW, you can test the newly mixed for Mg content as a comparison. As I said, as long as the saltmix is okay, the multple water chnages will repair your chemistry issues.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a Salifert test kit, expiration date is 07-2008.

Tags
hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com